Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquarium1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 8,617
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Question PFS or Gravel

What substrate should I use? I'm kinda leanin toward the pool filter sand. It's cheaper, easier to clean, and better for cories. If do get sand:
1.How deep should it be?
2.My filter is 5 inches from the bottom. Is this enough? If not, how can I make it shorter?
3.Could I seed with a some gravel?
4.Would the sand act as a biological filter like gravel?
5.Is there anything else I should know about it?

Thnx so much.
__________________

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,409
dude, definately go with pfs! i just got pfs yesterday in mine and LOVE IT!!! i put one 50lb bag in my 55 gallon and it put a perfect 2" bed... i had a hard time finding pfs here where i live, i only found one place that had it... the filter should be fine.. mine is about 3" above the sand on one, and the hob is about 4" above it, i havent found sand in either filter... you wont regret going with it over rock for sure
__________________

__________________
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
spoonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium1 View Post
What substrate should I use? I'm kinda leanin toward the pool filter sand. It's cheaper, easier to clean, and better for cories. If do get sand:
1.How deep should it be?
2.My filter is 5 inches from the bottom. Is this enough? If not, how can I make it shorter?
3.Could I seed with a some gravel?
4.Would the sand act as a biological filter like gravel?
5.Is there anything else I should know about it?

Thnx so much.
1. I wouldnt go deeper than a couple inches
2. I think that would be far enough away depending if your fish are going to really throw it around. Most wont.
3. Your present filter that is running should be enough. If you want to you could put some of your old gravel in nylon stocking or something and put it in the tank if you wanted to.
4. Sand should be no different than gravel. You just cant use UGF with PFS
5. Just rinse it a few times before you put it in the tank to prevent the clouding of the water.

Good luck. You and your fish will love it.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RazorbacksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SouthWest AR
Posts: 533
I say PFS all the way I will address your questions one at a time.

1. Really depends on personal preference mine is 3 inches. Anywhere between 1.5-3" should be fine.
2. That should be fine mine is only about 2 inches off the sand and I have no problems with it. If you wanted it shorter to be safe you can just carefully cut the tube with a hack saw to the desired length.
3. Yes you could seed the sand with established gravel but should be unnecessary unless you plan to change the filter pads within a month of changing to sand. If you do want to seed it you can put some gravel in a stocking or sock and leave it on top of the sand for a few weeks.
4. Yes the sand will house beneficial bacteria.
5. You should pick up some MTS to help stir the sand or stir it manually about once every other week to be safe.
__________________
Go Team Insomnia!
RazorbacksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquarium1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 8,617
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbacksFan View Post
I say PFS all the way I will address your questions one at a time.

1. Really depends on personal preference mine is 3 inches. Anywhere between 1.5-3" should be fine.
2. That should be fine mine is only about 2 inches off the sand and I have no problems with it. If you wanted it shorter to be safe you can just carefully cut the tube with a hack saw to the desired length.
3. Yes you could seed the sand with established gravel but should be unnecessary unless you plan to change the filter pads within a month of changing to sand. If you do want to seed it you can put some gravel in a stocking or sock and leave it on top of the sand for a few weeks.
4. Yes the sand will house beneficial bacteria.
5. You should pick up some MTS to help stir the sand or stir it manually about once every other week to be safe.

Where can I get MTS? I know my lfs doesn't hav n e. I had some snails and they over populated in my small tank. Will MTS? Thnx evry 1. I'll probly b using 50 lbs for the 55.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,409
aquarium, where in ky are you?
__________________
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RazorbacksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SouthWest AR
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium1 View Post
Where can I get MTS? I know my lfs doesn't hav n e. I had some snails and they over populated in my small tank. Will MTS? Thnx evry 1. I'll probly b using 50 lbs for the 55.
You can ask on this forum and people will usually send you a fair amount for the price of shipping. As far as the MTS overpopulating as long as you don't overfeed the tank you won't have a problem.
__________________
Go Team Insomnia!
RazorbacksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquarium1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 8,617
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
aquarium, where in ky are you?
in Montgomery county.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,409
have you checked around here in lexington? im not 100% sure, but on richmond road right next to hooters, theres a nice shop called animal house, they have about anything you would want, and he can order stuff usually if they dont have it
__________________
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquarium1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 8,617
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbacksFan View Post
You can ask on this forum and people will usually send you a fair amount for the price of shipping. As far as the MTS overpopulating as long as you don't overfeed the tank you won't have a problem.
Thnx I'll hav 2 look around.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquarium1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 8,617
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
have you checked around here in lexington? im not 100% sure, but on richmond road right next to hooters, theres a nice shop called animal house, they have about anything you would want, and he can order stuff usually if they dont have it
I'll hav 2 check it out some time. Also I'll look on craigslist. First I'm gonna look at walmart in morehead. A women down the road says everything she got there was really good quality and that they had a large variety of fish.

I'm really glad I found out about the pfs. I saw some on a sign at walmart. If the price was for 50 lbs it would save me at least 35 bucks from gravel. Yay! Mor money 4 decor and for test strips to set up.

I hav some plants in another tank but it has snails. How can I get them off? They are pond snails and the plant is a java fern.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,409
yeah i got my pfs for $6 something with tax... the gravel i paid $15 per bag and it took 2 bags... if youre in lexington near the mall soon, there is a pool supply place in the tiverton shopping center... thats where i got mine... and craigslist rocks... thats where i have got all of my tanks and filters, i just got a 55 gal on there for $15
__________________
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RazorbacksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SouthWest AR
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium1 View Post
I'll hav 2 check it out some time. Also I'll look on craigslist. First I'm gonna look at walmart in morehead. A women down the road says everything she got there was really good quality and that they had a large variety of fish.

I'm really glad I found out about the pfs. I saw some on a sign at walmart. If the price was for 50 lbs it would save me at least 35 bucks from gravel. Yay! Mor money 4 decor and for test strips to set up.

I hav some plants in another tank but it has snails. How can I get them off? They are pond snails and the plant is a java fern.
I would suggest you get a liquid test kit instead of the strips the strips are notoriously inaccurate. As far as getting the snails off you dip the plants in a 20:1 bleach solution and then rinse off the plants and dip them in water overdosed with dechlorinator.
__________________
Go Team Insomnia!
RazorbacksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquarium1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 8,617
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbacksFan View Post
I would suggest you get a liquid test kit instead of the strips the strips are notoriously inaccurate. As far as getting the snails off you dip the plants in a 20:1 bleach solution and then rinse off the plants and dip them in water overdosed with dechlorinator.
oops didn't mean to say strips I meant the liquid kits strips are just easier to say.Lol
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquarium1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 8,617
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
So i could use just a regular sock for seeding?
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RazorbacksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SouthWest AR
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium1 View Post
So i could use just a regular sock for seeding?
That should be fine.
__________________
Go Team Insomnia!
RazorbacksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquarium1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 8,617
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbacksFan View Post
That should be fine.
Sweet! So I'll probably b able to at least set it up on monday if I go to walmart. I'll set up a post on my progress. I'm gonna wait til I get the kits in b4 I start cyclying. Where is a place to get the kits needed for cycling for about $12? I might hav a few dollars extra for shipping. Do ppl on my friends list automatically know when I add a new thread? Just curious. Thnx soo much.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
RazorbacksFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SouthWest AR
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium1 View Post
Sweet! So I'll probably b able to at least set it up on monday if I go to walmart. I'll set up a post on my progress. I'm gonna wait til I get the kits in b4 I start cyclying. Where is a place to get the kits needed for cycling for about $12? I might hav a few dollars extra for shipping. Do ppl on my friends list automatically know when I add a new thread? Just curious. Thnx soo much.
I'm not sure I don't think it notifies them. As far as the cycling kit I would save the money and just do a fishless cycle.
__________________
Go Team Insomnia!
RazorbacksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
spoonman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,720
I think he is talking about waiting to get a test kit in b4 he starts cycling. Not sure though.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aquarium1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 8,617
Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbacksFan View Post
I'm not sure I don't think it notifies them. As far as the cycling kit I would save the money and just do a fishless cycle.
I was going to do a fishless cycle but I'll need to know when it's over. How much fish food should I add to start the cycle? How long should I leave it in there? I also heard of putting a steamed shrimp in to start cycling. Would it work for freshwater? It just so happens i got some frozen shrimp today and I was just wondering if it would.
__________________

Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gravel, pfs, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
planting with pfs DragonFish71 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 10 11-26-2009 09:46 AM
Made the change from gravel to PFS today! spoonman Show Off/Photography 28 08-21-2009 11:26 PM
PFS: can i use it? Zer0 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 42 07-23-2009 12:38 PM
PFS plus something else? majolo Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 1 03-01-2007 10:31 AM
What is the best way to clean PFS? Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 10 06-24-2006 10:36 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×