Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To change pH, you have to change the buffer.
Driftwood can lower the pH in this manner.

That said, I advise caution.
Changing the pH can cause bounces at water changes if your tap pH is different than your tank, and this could stress your fish.

Why do you need a lower pH?

I was told 7.8 is okay but I should attempt to lower it to 7.2

7.8 is perfectly fine for guppies. I'd advise against trying to change it.

Anyone know the best pH for Glofish Tetras?
GloFish Tetras are genetically modified white skirt tetras, for whom the best pH is 6.5-7.5 but anywhere between 6 and 8 should be fine. It's generally best to not try to change pH because pH fluctuations are not healthy for fish, and most commonly kept species are fine adapting to tap pH.

You really should stay away from modifying your ph. Your ph is fine. You will do more damage by trying to change it. They most likely came from about same range ph you have anyway. And besides if you ran co2 it's normal for them to take a 1 point drop anyway. Do not worry.

I have the same exact fish and have adjusted to ranges all the way from 6.5 to 7.8 ph. Everyone is still alive.

GloFish Tetras are genetically modified white skirt tetras, for whom the best pH is 6.5-7.5 but anywhere between 6 and 8 should be fine. It's generally best to not try to change pH because pH fluctuations are not healthy for fish, and most commonly kept species are fine adapting to tap pH.

Thanks for your reply. My tap water pH is measuring at 8.4. I'm thinking about adding driftwood to my tank.

Driftwood didn't help my ph at all.

I started using ro water instead of tap water, only way to lower and keep ph stable, but doesn't work for everyone either. Everyone's tank and situation is different.

Driftwood didn't help my ph at all.

I started using ro water instead of tap water, only way to lower and keep ph stable, but doesn't work for everyone either. Everyone's tank and situation is different.

Maybe you need to look at your buffer (alkalinity)?
Here's a link I gave on another thread that might help (if you don't already know this stuff).
Beginner FAQ: Water Chemistry

Thanks for the information, but I was just providing that for the op.
My ph was always stable, just high, I test and control my kh & gh.
It's quite an ongoing learning experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom