pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agtenor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55gal tank that has been fishless for about 2 months. I kept the filters going the whole time and now we have added barbs and loches to try and get things going again. I'm having trouble getting the pH under control. It is exremely basic & I can't get it down-the amount of "pH lower" chemicals I've used is starting to worry me. I have exchanged water twice & cleaned the tank & gravel. My tap water is basic also. Do I need to completely empty the tank and clean everything and start over as if a new tank? Or what? Will plants or air bubbling help?

Hiya agtenor,
welcome to Aquarium Advice.

You say you cant get you ph down, what is your ph reading. Infact what are the parameters of your tank ie.. Ammonia/Nitrite/ Nitrate. Tell us abit more about the tank, what sort of things your aiming for. what you want to do with it, types of fish you would like to put in it.

Everyone at Aquarium Advice is here to help you, so the more info they have the more they can do for you.

the pH seems to be hanging around 7.5 no ammonia/nitrates detected. We want community fish like barbs and angels. It was until recently home for only one huge plecostomus. He killed anything we put in including eating plants. He was about 18 inches we he finally died. About 10 years old. He was the only one in the tank for a long time. We would like to add living plants and want colorful easy to care for fish to teach our 3 y/o son about aquariums etc.

the pH seems to be hanging around 7.5 no ammonia/nitrates detected.

This ph is not a problem, IMO. you don't need a perfect 7.0. I was thinking you meant well over 8.

Those "ph down" products usually cause more problems in the long run than they solve.

I wouldn't worry about adjusting a PH of 7.5. Most tropical fish will do fine at that PH. You just have to acclimate them slowly if your LFS keeps them in different conditions.

My PH is 8.0 in two of my tanks and no stress from any of my fish. I mix about 40% RO water to bring down the PH/KH/GH of my other tank, as I have rams in that one and they're much more sensitive.

I aggree with corvuscorax & Madame_X.

You have no worries, injoy your fish purchases. Have fun :D
If you have any questions of types of fish just ask, if you have a good lfs they will help.

Speaking of PH... I'm setting up my tank for a puffer with aquarium salt...and I was told by teh LFS that I need a higher PH than 7... Are we talking 7.5 or closer to 8?

And how do you suggest I accomplish raising the PH. I have marin buffer I use for my SW tank... Directions for that are 1 tsp per 10 gallons. I figure i f I have a 29 gallong tank, I should use 1 tsp and I should be ok... sound right?

based on my basic shool chemistry lessons, PH is the acidity or alkalinity of water on a scale from 1 to 14. 7 is neutral. It is not caused nor can it be affected by the biology of the tank, ie waste.

usually the Ph of the water is set by your areas water supply and trying to chnge it will have to involve PH altering chemicals constanly. i do not support chemicals in tanks since i found they killed my shrimps.

also i have read articles claiming that fishes from the same source needing different PH levels :?

7.5 is near netral and should be ok for most fishes. if they survived in your LFS, they should survive in your tank as you should be sharing the same water supply.

Back
Top Bottom