pH all over the place!!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jetajockey said:
I wouldn't bother with the almond leaf extract, that's definitely what was lowering your pH level. I'd stop using it completely and then start testing the water again.

Testing the water straight out of the tap may not give you accurate readings, set a cup of water out overnight, aerate it, and then test it.

Thanks jeta...I'm clueless about that product. However, she just began adding it yesterday and the pH fluctuations have been since last week. Do you agree that whatever work was done to the pipes probably messed with dissolved solids, etc...and is probably a contributing factor?

I wouldn't bother with the almond leaf extract, that's definitely what was lowering your pH level. I'd stop using it completely and then start testing the water again.

Testing the water straight out of the tap may not give you accurate readings, set a cup of water out overnight, aerate it, and then test it.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm starting to see that that's a problem. I was having the problem before, but it might hinder correcting the pH problem if it keeps it lower.

I don't have anything to aerate the water overnight. Can I just leave it sit and then test it?

It's hard to say without a gh/kh test but it is likely that the water has low buffers. It wouldn't hurt to put some ca/mg in there anyhow.

As far as with the work that was done, could only speculate, there's no telling.

Yea if you don't have an air bubbler then just let it offgas, it might get a lower reading not being aerated but it shouldn't be drastically lower.

The other thing you need to do is start testing for ammonia and nitrite in the first few days/weeks after adding a buffer, a ph shift can affect biofilter performance so it's just a good idea to keep an eye on it.

It's hard to say without a gh/kh test but it is likely that the water has low buffers. It wouldn't hurt to put some ca/mg in there anyhow.

As far as with the work that was done, could only speculate, there's no telling.

Yea if you don't have an air bubbler then just let it offgas, it might get a lower reading not being aerated but it shouldn't be drastically lower.

The other thing you need to do is start testing for ammonia and nitrite in the first few days/weeks after adding a buffer, a ph shift can affect biofilter performance so it's just a good idea to keep an eye on it.

Thanks again jetajockey.

I'll do that. I do generally check my ammonia/nitrate on a constant basis anyway, so that'll definitely be covered.

Kind of a stupid question, but if I leave the water overnight, is that just straight tap water or conditioned tap water? :facepalm:

Great, thanks.

Thanks guys for all the info and advice. Never having a tank before, any bump in the road get's me panicked.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom