PH and KH problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi i'm kinda new to this forum and i hope some people will be able to help me with my aquarium problem. I , like you, really like aquariums and fishs. So on to my problem.

Since a certain time now my PH is dangerously low 6.0 from my tester kit tell me. So reading on the internet i saw that KH is also a factor for stabilizing PH ( and i did wonder why after adjusting ph with "ph up" it did return back to the same level the day after ) So i decided to test my KH to find out that i had something between 20-80 mg/L which is kinda low. So my setting is the following:

- 15 Gallon Aquarium
- Fluvial underwater #2 Filter
- I have 1 real plant in it and the rest is all plastic plant ( which has grey hair algae on it )
- I have a air pump with 2 bubble stone
- 1 treated wood log for aquarium
- Fish : 2 Cobalt Gouramis, 2 Red Dwarf Gouramis, 2 Kissing Gouramis, 1 Clown Loach ( small one )
- Aquarium set up for almost 1 year now

So i can i stabilize my PH and KH so my fish fell better cuz i already lost 1 and another seem to be on the egde ? ( water changes doesn't really help already tried )

thanks

Try getting a small piece of limestone or dead coral skeleton from your LFS. This will bring your GH up (especially with a pH of 6-ish).

Have you tested your tap water to see if it is very soft and acidic? If it is not, an xtra-large water change might help as well.

If you're forced to go the chemical route, I can reccommend Seachem Neutral Regulator powder. Following the directions will bring your water up to a neutral pH and make it relatively hard and stable.

The PH from the tap water here is 7.0 or around i`ve already tested it. What do you mean by xtra large water change ? Half ? 3/4 ?

if i add baking soda how much should i add and how do i add it ? Surely i must dilude it in water before adding it . thanks !

I tested the KH today a couple of hours ago it was between 20 - 80 mg/L and the PH was 6.0 on the tester scale which is the lowest... i suspect it is even lower.

You mean did i test the KH of my tap water ? No didnt try that but it might be a good idea. So how should i test it ? I take some in a glass and leave it overnight and test it the day after ? I'm kinda lost ?

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!!! hope you enjoy it as much as I have, itsa great place, theres alot of knowledge here and years of fish keeping experience of all kinds

Hillbilly Jerry said:
Try getting a small piece of limestone or dead coral skeleton from your LFS. This will bring your GH up (especially with a pH of 6-ish).

hey, do you suppose there is anything i can add my aquarium to make my water MORE acidic?

hey, do you suppose there is anything i can add my aquarium to make my water MORE acidic?

Driftwood or Peat fiber in the filter. They will make the water a tea like colour, but it's the safest way to reduce the hardness of the water. Peat fiber being the best way. There are may ways to do it, and it makes water changes a bit more of a challange. There are not many reasons for dropping the PH of your aquarium. injecting Co2 does it more as a side effect then a reason.

OK i did what rich311k told me and here are the results

PH: 7.0 - 7.2
KH 50 mg/L

this is from tap water declorated overnight left in a glass.
so i can see from the tap water that the KH is already low by nature so i need a buffer agent to keep my ph up right ?

And i retested my aquarium this morning as i added seashells on the bottom of it yeasterday evening.

PH: 6.5
KH : 20 mg/L

I`ve decided to try baking soda. So i diluded it in a glass of my aquarium water then what ? i add it little by little or just drop the whole thing in my aquarium ?

Do it little at a time over the course of a few days. You do not want to shock your fish. Remember you have to replace it with every water change.

ok i'll do so i`ve added a little today but i think i might added a little too much. my ph rose to 7.0 same as tap water and my KH as gone up to 40 mg/L. Ill leave it to that for a couple of day because i already fear that i`ve stressed my fish (ich has started to appear today). Well it's a beginner mistake tough i mainly go with tries and errors. I'll raise my temps slowly to 86ºC kill the ich already present in my tank.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:

Driftwood or Peat fiber in the filter. They will make the water a tea like colour, but it's the safest way to reduce the hardness of the water. Peat fiber being the best way. There are may ways to do it, and it makes water changes a bit more of a challange. There are not many reasons for dropping the PH of your aquarium. injecting Co2 does it more as a side effect then a reason.

yeah, i know i'd rather not mess with my pH, but all of my fish require soft-slightly acidic water when my pH is like 7.5 (it used to be 7.0 for a long time and recently it has climbed)...not sure what to do about that but thanks! (was planning on adding more driftwood anyway

Back
Top Bottom