pH and Rainbowfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
The pH of my tank stays around 7.8 - 8.0 because of the high pH city water. I chose to keep Rainbowfish because of they can handle a higher pH. Would it be worth it to try using things such as Peat Moss to try and lower my pH for the other fish in my aquarium (neon tetras and an albino bristlenose). I’ve heard that it’s better to have a consistent pH rather than risking a fluctuating one.

I worried about my ph for the longest time which is the same as yours. I would just keep it consistent. Bred fish are pretty tolerable to high ph now. I would consider it if you had fish from the wild

Ok thank you. They try to sell you buffers at the fish stores and luckily I didn’t buy into that crap. I told him I would have to have a 55 gallon drum of that crap if I was to try and keep it consistent.

pH generally doesn't matter to much as fish adapt....unless you're trying to breed and with some specific fish. The TDS is more important. 7.8 to 8.0 isn't terribly high. I run about 8.4-8.6 and I've kept several different fish without a problem..... specifically plecos and tetras such as yourself.

Back
Top Bottom