Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

pH and Rainbowfish

The pH of my tank stays around 7.8 - 8.0 because of the high pH city water. I chose to keep Rainbowfish because of they can handle a higher pH. Would it be worth it to try using things such as Peat Moss to try and lower my pH for the other fish in my aquarium (neon tetras and an albino bristlenose). Iíve heard that itís better to have a consistent pH rather than risking a fluctuating one.

http://youtube.com/rolancekeith
Rolance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I worried about my ph for the longest time which is the same as yours. I would just keep it consistent. Bred fish are pretty tolerable to high ph now. I would consider it if you had fish from the wild

Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thank you. They try to sell you buffers at the fish stores and luckily I didnít buy into that crap. I told him I would have to have a 55 gallon drum of that crap if I was to try and keep it consistent.

http://youtube.com/rolancekeith
Rolance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

pH generally doesn't matter to much as fish adapt....unless you're trying to breed and with some specific fish. The TDS is more important. 7.8 to 8.0 isn't terribly high. I run about 8.4-8.6 and I've kept several different fish without a problem..... specifically plecos and tetras such as yourself.

Tags
fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com