pH and Texas Holey Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Texas Holey Rock?

thrlogorock.jpg

I've read that these raise pH, and my water is 7.6 as it is; should I give up my liking of this deco and just settle with slate?

Also, should I worry about my pH being that high with the intention of a community tank and not a cichlid tank?

I don't think that your pH is necessarily a problem for a community tank.... that said, it would be if you added the holey rock which does raise pH. That's one of the reasons that so many people use it for African cichlid tanks.

I actually was wrong on that figure; the pH is 7.4, and while that's still high, I think I can do w/out the holey rock. . . although it does look tre' cool.

I believe Holey rock is limestone. Limestone will slowly dissolve in your tank and increase your water hardness. It basically puts a bunch of CaCO3 in the water. When I had a lot of limestone my pH eventually settled out at about 8.0. 7.4 isn't really too bad & if you keep on top of the water changes it may not shift much.

Many community fish are tolerant of a variety of pH levels & the important thing is usually avoiding pH swings so if you love the holey rock then just get fish that aren't very particular about their pH or like it high. My tiger barbs, harlequin rasboras, & ottos all did fine at the high pH before I took out my limestone.

Back
Top Bottom