pH Assistance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jam4lyf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Apparently our city water has a very high pH. I have used API Proper pH in the past to regulate it to 7.2, however, over a period of 2-3 water changes the pH sky rockets again. I have no real way of knowing just how high it is, because it just shows up as the bluest of blues on the color card (I use the master test kit, and I'm happy to say my other parameters have been zero for quite some time!). I have a male Tai Silk who seems to be the only fish affected by it, all the others seem to have adapted.

I'm just wondering...is there a "natural" way I can regulate the pH????? I really don't like having to add the chemical...

Thanks for your help :)

Your Tap Water

Hello Jam...

Unless your plan is to keep and breed rare fish, you don't need to be worried about the chemical makeup of your tap water. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adjust to the vast majority of public water supplies. You do need to treat it to remove the chemicals like chlorine and chloramine, but nothing else. Seachem's "Safe" is what I use. Just dose according to the instructions.

It's best for the fish to keep things simple, by removing and replacing a lot of tank water and doing it regularly. This will maintain a stable water chemistry, which is infinitely more important than trying to maintain a particular water chemistry.

B

How high is high? My local water is regularly > 9pH after gassing off. How high is the pH after sitting for 24-48 hours? How are you adding the chemicals to the water for the water changes? I would take a cup of water and let it sit for 24-48 hours and test the pH and see what it is at that point, as it's usually a bit lower than straight from the tap. If you're adding water directly from the faucet to the tank you might try this: Put the water in a 5 gallon bucket, let it gas off for a few days, test the pH, then add some acid buffer and see where it's at in another 24 hours and if it changes over that period.

Experimentation is key!

Are you using the high range pH kit? If I'm not mistaken the api master kit comes with that.

Hello Jam...

Unless your plan is to keep and breed rare fish, you don't need to be worried about the chemical makeup of your tap water. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adjust to the vast majority of public water supplies. You do need to treat it to remove the chemicals like chlorine and chloramine, but nothing else. Seachem's "Safe" is what I use. Just dose according to the instructions.

It's best for the fish to keep things simple, by removing and replacing a lot of tank water and doing it regularly. This will maintain a stable water chemistry, which is infinitely more important than trying to maintain a particular water chemistry.

B

9 out of 10 times you would be correct but you have to take individual circumstances into account when you offer suggestions like this. Anything below 8.4 and I'm agreeing with you, but we don't actually know what the pH is so proper advice can't quite be given.

Apparently our city water has a very high pH. I have used API Proper pH in the past to regulate it to 7.2, however, over a period of 2-3 water changes the pH sky rockets again. I have no real way of knowing just how high it is, because it just shows up as the bluest of blues on the color card (I use the master test kit, and I'm happy to say my other parameters have been zero for quite some time!). I have a male Tai Silk who seems to be the only fish affected by it, all the others seem to have adapted.

I'm just wondering...is there a "natural" way I can regulate the pH????? I really don't like having to add the chemical...

Thanks for your help :)

I agree with allowing it to gas off before testing the final pH. Cutting your tap water with r/o water is perhaps the best and most controllable way to manage your water pH.

Tap Water

Hello Meb...

I see your point. But it would be very rare that water safe to drink couldn't be treated to maintain your average pet store fish. I'd maintain that if the poster simply keeps pure water conditions by removing and replacing large volumes of tank water and doing it regularly, they could keep a healthy tank with a lot of fish and not have to fret over the water chemistry.

B

Back
Top Bottom