Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

pH between the LFS and my aquarium

So fish do best when the pH level is not messed with. So will me transferring the fish from the pet store bag to my tank hurt my fish? My pH level is higher than that of the LFS so I am worried that will shock the fish. Is there a way to combat this?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishDaAx View Post
So fish do best when the pH level is not messed with. So will me transferring the fish from the pet store bag to my tank hurt my fish? My pH level is higher than that of the LFS so I am worried that will shock the fish. Is there a way to combat this?
Ah! ... That's were properly acclimating your fish comes in. Drip acclimation's the way to go! Plenty of Youtube videos on it, but basically you run a thin plastic tube .. like an airline tube from your tank into a little bucket or pot that's holding your LFS purchase with it's water. Check the link below

How to Drip Acclimate Fish or Corals - YouTube

Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon View Post

Ah! ... That's were properly acclimating your fish comes in. Drip acclimation's the way to go! Plenty of Youtube videos on it, but basically you run a thin plastic tube .. like an airline tube from your tank into a little bucket or pot that's holding your LFS purchase with it's water. Check the link below

How to Drip Acclimate Fish or Corals - YouTube
Hey thanks! Never heard of drip acclimation! Thanks for the video link. Ill check it out and do that for now on!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
It'll give any new stock a better shot of adjusting to your tank. It's still no guarantee, especially with sensitive fish like neon or rummynose tetras, but I don't think there's an experienced member that wouldn't recommend drip acclimation. I do mine a max of three hours to a min of one hour (shrimp).
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

+1 for drip acclimation! 1-3hrs... 2hrs seems to be a pretty sweet spot for most FW ive come across.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com