PH Buffering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay guys, so honest question here, how can a substrate buffer the PH of water? What does it mean by "buffer" anyways, I'm getting more interested in this because I've been reading about different substrates for my new tank, which I'm going to plant, plus I've been thinking about getting some real driftwood to go in it, which I've heard "buffers" PH too.

I'm looking to try to keep the new tank between 5.7-7.5 PH, and just don't understand what it means to "buffer" the PH.

Will it raise the PH to buffer it, lower it, can it make the PH go to one extreme of the scale or the other, like... Buffering too much? I dunno, guys helps me out here...

BONUS: If you can suggest a great black planted tank substrate, it'd be much appreciated.

Coral/calcium/argonite will raise your PH. More minerals. Wood and peet will lower your PH (idk how it just does).

I had an inert substrate with wood and my ph would swing and drop suddenly on me. So I added a bit (1/2 cup) to my filter and my Ph is stable. I shoot for 7.2-7.8. I have snails that need a minimum of 7.2.

What did you add to stabilize it?

Well duh if I could just finish a thought. Lol

I added 1/2 cup of the coral/argonite. My mineral content of the water was too low and the ph kept dropping. But this small amount stabilized my 29gallon tank and has been for the past 6 months.

I add argonite to my canister filter because I have two huge pieces of driftwood, and it was lowering my ph too low for my fish. Since I've added it, the ph holds steady just below neutral. If you are concerned about the affects of driftwood or certain substrates, you should get the API kh & gh test kit. The higher the kh the less likely your ph is to change.

I'm not an expert on the science behind it, I just know enough to keep fish :)

Hey, any advice helps, I'm going to be doing a lot of reading on this, people's experiences are what I wanna hear about. I'm gonna get API master test kit and the GH/KH test kit soon.

Back
Top Bottom