PH Buffers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do not add buffers hehe, i just had 10 fish die due to adding buffers, One thing that seems to work is taking a small filter bag and putting about a cup of crushed coral into you filter, If you wait another day i will let you know exactly how it works out for me, my PH was at 6.2 2 days ago and its up to 7.2 no, The problem i have is that it fluctuates, by . 5 or so. I will let you know tomorrow what happens.

Why do you want to add buffers? Are you starting with distilled or ro/di water?

There are specialty products out there for this, but most tap water is suitable for fish.

tank has been established for almost a year... and in the past 2 weeks the PH has been dropping to 6 or below.... i do a 60% pwc and within 24hrs its back down to 6...

i tested KH and its 50 or less ppm.... which is leading me to believe that the ph buffer levels in the tank are shot.....

NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 less then 5 ppm

all of this is leading me to believe i either need to start using ferts for the plants and/or add some type of PH buffers...

Unless you're filling the tank with RO/DI water during PWCs, you're replacing your buffers. CO2 will lower your pH. If you're running it, I would look at your system.

Hey Jim! About time you chimed in! lol

no CO2 (a weekly dose of Flourish Excel)... currently no ferts.... i do have DW and i know that can lower PH but its also been in there for the better part of a year now. plain gravel substrate

tap PH = 6.6 - 6.8

anything else that could be lowering KH? and/or killing buffers?

do nitrates act as buffers? should i start using ferts? would that raise nitrates and buffers? so confused...

I've been having computer troubles.

How tightly does your top fit? If your top fits very tightly and you've got a heavy fish load, the CO2 from respiration may be causing the drop.

I'm not well versed in hardness, so I hesitate to comment there.

Dosing ferts are always a good thing in a planted tank if you don't overdo things.

its a versa top.... has some cuts in the back for filter tubes, powerhead/heater cords... i would be hard pressed to imagine it being air tight... and i do run a powerhead with a snorkel over night when the lights are off to difuse air into the water column....

Back
Top Bottom