pH crash normal??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up a 55 gallon tank two days ago, and that night I put in a seeded cartridge into the empty slot of my filter. My ammonia was high, but that is to be expected while in the first stages of cycling. No nitrItes, and <10 nitrAtes. Then I tested my pH. It was 6.0! I double tested my tap water and it tested as 7.0 pH! Why on earth is my pH so low????:confused:

Yep, what test kit are you using? Is it liquid? If so try shakign the bottle and try the test again; even with the API kit if I haven't used the PH test in a while and I don't shake it enough I get an incorrect reading the first time. If you're using strips, ditch them for liquid. PH crashes are normal during cycling but if it was just set up with tap water the day before I doubt it has crashed already.

Have you tested the pH of your tap water after it has gassed out overnight? Do you know the KH of your tap water?

Have you tested the pH of your tap water after it has gassed out overnight? Do you know the KH of your tap water?
1. Yes. I tested it after it sits out in a CLEAN water jug. It is 7.0-7.2
2. No. My test kit does not test KH. It only tests ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes, and pH.

If your KH is very low, or non-existent like mine, then the buffering ability is very low. It is much more likely to experience a pH crash with low buffering ability and it is possible to happen relatively quickly. Do water changes to keep your pH up and, if needed, you can use crushed coral to help buffer your water.

Back
Top Bottom