PH Difficulties

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geostationary

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum or not. Feel free to suggest a better place for me to post this.

I'm having some PH issues lately. I have a 5gal set up, waiting for the PH to settle in then I'm planning on getting a dwarf puffer. The tank is currently inhabited by many snails, java ferns, narrow leafed sag, and amazon swords. There's a rock in there too. My PH is consistently testing at about 6.2, and I can't figure out why. I tried a Seachem neutral regulator, and it's not moving the PH at all. All other params look good, aside from PH. Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing this, or tricks to get the PH to move?

Is the tank fully cycled? The nitrifying bacteria can cause low pH in the nitrite-->nitrate phase. What's the pH out of your tap? You could always add crushed coral into the tank or replace the rock with a more calcareous one such as limestone or small piece of Texas holey rock to naturally raise the pH.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's fully cycled. PH out of the tap is around 7.2. Both of my other tanks (with mostly the same plants and same substrate) are at 6.8-7.0. Good idea on the rocks/coral. Would a major (80%) water change help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to do some rescaping anyway, I guess I have a project for this weekend now. Thanks for the advice.

What's the dkH of the water and is there a glass top?

With the dKH and pH readings you can get a rough estimate on the amount of co2 present in the water which would help account for lower pH levels.

attachment.php

People that use CO2 for planted tanks use charts like this to gauge their level of co2. If you're in the yellow range then increase the aeration of your tank to decrease the co2 level.

dKH is at .5. No glass top. I'm thinking water change will really help.

As long as your tap water has higher levels of dkh then yes it will most likely help.

Tap water is reading at about 1. So it should help. Won't have a chance until Saturday. Hopefully it helps. I'll add more aeration if it doesn't.

That's not going to help a whole ton. I would suggest throwing a handfull of crushed coral into a filter media bag inside your filter. It will dissolve slowly and raise your kH in your tank which will make your pH more stable.

Good idea. That definitely makes sense. I'll do that as soon as I can pick some up.

The question to ask here is: why is your ph so low in the first place?
Are you using C02?

Going to add some crushed coral tomorrow or the next day and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom