pH Down won't work and clouds up water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angelfish898

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I ahve tested the pH of the water several times in the past few days and I have been using the suggested amount of pH down but it stays the same and all that it is doing is clouding up the water. any advice plz? thx

size tank, is it cycled? are there fish?
i have heard that these products dont usually work for lowering/raising ph, and what is your ph currently at?

A good rule of thumb for aquarists: Let the fish acclimate to the pH. Don't let the pH acclimate to the fish.

pH doesn't really matter to most species of freshwater fish as long as it's stable. It's like humidity to people. ;) The "pH Down" was really a waste of money and just the pet store's excuse to get you to spend more on stuff you don't need.

pH and Cloudy Water

Hello Angel...

I've never used chemicals in my tank water, because all tanks run a little differently and you never really know how chemicals will affect the water conditions.

I've never worried about pH, hardness or any of that stuff. I just treated my tap water for chlorine, chloramine and ammonia and put it into the tank.

So, toss the chemicals, don't test the pH anymore. Do treat your tap water, change at least half the tank water every week and add another power filter to the tank for a few days. An HOB is good and just fill the filter with some polyfiber. This stuff is very dense and will catch all the small particles of plant and animal material floating in the water. I've had cloudy water in my tanks from time to time and follow these steps to clear it up.

B

Back
Top Bottom