Ph drop!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so I'm getting toward the end of my cycle, there was a week I didn't test anything and I guess that's when my nitrites and trates were highest and I didn't do the 59-69% water change. My oh used to be at 7.8-8 and now it's at 7.2. My stock list requires 7.4-8. Should I go ahead and change my water? My tap water oh is 7.8-8. Did my drift wood lower it?? What should I do?

Edit: 50-60%**

Attachments

• image-1227260009.jpg
    image-1227260009.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 48
  • image-3701922269.jpg
    image-3701922269.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 48
  • image-3471361352.jpg
    image-3471361352.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 45
Here's the info, the recommended ph I got wrong up there! Sorry!

Attachments

• image-2657249636.jpg
    image-2657249636.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 51
Just a couple of things to think about. Ph can drop during cycling so don't be too worried. Also do you know your Kh? If you have a low Kh of under 4 there might not be enough buffers in the tank to keep the ph stable. Do a large WC, wait 24 hours and see if it goes back up. If it doesn't and you think you need a higher ph you can always add some crushed coral to your filter or hang it in a media bag under your filter outflow.

Just a couple of things to think about. Ph can drop during cycling so don't be too worried. Also do you know your Kh? If you have a low Kh of under 4 there might not be enough buffers in the tank to keep the ph stable. Do a large WC, wait 24 hours and see if it goes back up. If it doesn't and you think you need a higher ph you can always add some crushed coral to your filter or hang it in a media bag under your filter outflow.

Oh ok, so how do I test my kh? All I have is the freshwater master test kit!

You need an API Gh and Kh test kit. It has both tests in the box so you can test each separately.

I just ordered it! Est delivery is June 5th! Ill post on here once I get it tested! In the mean time should I just keep dosing the Ammonia??

You can do a PWC as said. When I started my 2nd tank 130g (cycled already) I just added baking soad to bump up my KH to 10. My KH/buffer is weak at only 3. The reason I did that is because my first tank doing the fish-less cycled, the pH crashed doing the cycle. The BB were doing a number on the sodium bicarbonate so adding that helped. The

You can do a PWC as said. When I started my 2nd tank 130g (cycled already) I just added baking soad to bump up my KH to 10. My KH/buffer is weak at only 3. The reason I did that is because my first tank doing the fish-less cycled, the pH crashed doing the cycle. The BB were doing a number on the sodium bicarbonate so adding that helped. The

Oh ok! Ill try it!

Back
Top Bottom