Ph dropping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi there.
You are quite right, 2 drops = 2 degrees of Kh and Gh. The test kit strengths have been devised that way - to make life simpler.
dKh and dGh of 2 is very soft water. The low Kh will lead to unstable Ph. In my opinion a good dKh is 6 and not a bad idea to match the dGh to 6 as well.
The principle to raise both is the same. Add Bicarbonate of Soda (not baking soda) to raise Kh and Epson Salts to raise Gh. Raising either in a fish in tank should be done slowly to avoid shocking the fish. The fish less tank can be increased quicker.
What I do is make up a solution, this is a little trial and error, but I add 20ml of bicarb to 500ml of tap water in a bottle. This is my solution. I then add 25ml of the solution to each 10l bucket of water on water changes. I find adding this dilution safer than trying to guess the tiny amounts of bicarb required. This gives me about dKh6 in the tank, eventually. You need to adjust the amount of the solution if the Kh stays too low or drift too high. Too high and your Ph will rise to about 7.5. You soon get the hang of it.
I don't need to use Epson salts, my Gh is ok. But I would use the same principle but you will have to do a trial bucket to see how much solution is required to raise your bucket to dGh6. You may have to make your solution weaker or stronger. Once you get your measurements right then it's dead easy to make your solutions and use them on water changes.
If you are doing anything more than 25% WC on your fish in tank then I would not add the full Kh and Gh 6 water but maybe get your bucket water to 3 and work your way up over a few days.
When both tanks have reached Gh and Kh 6 you will need to use Gh and Kh 6 for future water changes. It is worth it as your water parameters will be a lot more stable.
I hope that's ok. Get back to me if your are unsure of what I have said.

Why not baking soda? It's pure sodium bicarbonate; aka bicarbonate of soda. Or were you meaning not baking powder (which contains baking soda but also other things undesirable in an aquarium)?

Just to further muddy things, some folks will use a limestone rock to raise GH and kh both. Results with coral and stone are simply less predictable than measured solutions.

I would add baking soda straight to the tank and in future new water in the bucket.

It just need a little baking soda to raise the KH and prevent PH flukes like this.

Alright just did a 50% wc in the 10. Put 1/4teaspoon baking soda into 5gallon bucket stirred. Tested it it was at about ph 8. Poured out about half the water and refilled. Got to about 7.5. So went with that added it to tank let it circulate for a bit and tested the tank, ph at 7.6, Kh at 3. Next time I'll try with just 1/8t and see how that does. Didn't do anything with the Gh yet wanted to do a little at a time.
Also got some crushed coral. Gonna add a media bag of that to the filter into the 55. Not gonna alter with baking soda and see what kind of results I get from that, since no water changes are needed at this point. Possibly add a bag to the 10 to stabilize that if I get good results. Just didn't want to do too much too fast at this point for the sake of the fish in the 10. They seem do be doing good though after the wc. Thanks for all the input I think I'm on the right track. If any one has any other ideas feel free to share though.

Sodium bicarbonate raise KH
Carbonate Calcium raise both KH ang GH.

KH is the PH buffer
GH is more a mineral thing for fishs. (ex; Cichlids need higer concentration because they take their minerals from higher GH water).

Crushed corals are made of Carbonate Calcium.

You must increase KH overtime, not suddendly, or it will raise the PH.

My tap is 2dKH°, it's low. So I add a bit baking soda to any new water, and it keep it maintained betweed 3-4dKH°. I still have double 0.3 PH flukes daily because of CO2 injection. My fish are fine since a year in these conditions, no sudden deaths.

Back
Top Bottom