Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2019, 06:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

pH during cycling new planted tank

Hi, everyone,
I have a new planted tank not cycled yet. I have lost all my filter media in my old cycled tank, so I have to start cycling from the very beginning. It’s my first time to use co2 injection. I’ve already planted hair grass in the Amazonia soil. And CO2 is being injected with lights on 6 hours daily. ADA soil leaches out plenty of ammonia and I don’t have to add any of it.
pH without CO2 injection is around 6.4 and I believe it’s normal when using ADA soil. When CO2 is being injected, pH dropped to around 5.6.
I am now doubted if pH at 5.6 would badly affect the good bacteria and the cycling process.
Could anybody advise me? Many thanks

Old 10-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Youíll have to wait it out. Eventually it will cycle it will just take little longer than normal.

Sounds like you are doing the right things at the moment.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZxC View Post
Youíll have to wait it out. Eventually it will cycle it will just take little longer than normal.

Sounds like you are doing the right things at the moment.
Thanks a lot!
Old 10-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Growing Hairgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1720 View Post
Hi, everyone,
I have a new planted tank not cycled yet. I have lost all my filter media in my old cycled tank, so I have to start cycling from the very beginning. Itís my first time to use co2 injection. Iíve already planted hair grass in the Amazonia soil. And CO2 is being injected with lights on 6 hours daily. ADA soil leaches out plenty of ammonia and I donít have to add any of it.
pH without CO2 injection is around 6.4 and I believe itís normal when using ADA soil. When CO2 is being injected, pH dropped to around 5.6.
I am now doubted if pH at 5.6 would badly affect the good bacteria and the cycling process.
Could anybody advise me? Many thanks
Hello A...

You don't need CO2 with Hairgrass. Unlike, most other carpet plants, it only requires medium light, so the fertilizer the fish produce is all it needs. You don't need to worry about the water chemistry. As long as you keep it steady with large, weekly water changes once the tank cycles, you'll be good.

CO2 is pricey and can tricky to set up and maintain. Save this type of system for the plants that require strong lighting and when you've gotten some more experience growing the easier plants.

B
Old 10-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello A...

You don't need CO2 with Hairgrass. Unlike, most other carpet plants, it only requires medium light, so the fertilizer the fish produce is all it needs. You don't need to worry about the water chemistry. As long as you keep it steady with large, weekly water changes once the tank cycles, you'll be good.

CO2 is pricey and can tricky to set up and maintain. Save this type of system for the plants that require strong lighting and when you've gotten some more experience growing the easier plants.

B
Dwarf hair grass is definitely a plant that benefits from high light and co2. Not to be confused with standard hair grass, probably what you're thinking of.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dwarf Hairgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Dwarf hair grass is definitely a plant that benefits from high light and co2. Not to be confused with standard hair grass, probably what you're thinking of.
Hi Brook...

No. i was talking about Dwarf Hairgrass. It takes just moderate light and you don't need to supplement with a CO2 system. A shorter tank with a couple of florescent, T8, 6500K bulbs is fine for growing this one. All you need to dose is nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. You can make sure the fish are fed these and they'll take care of fertilizing.

B
Old 10-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You sir are incorrect. That's fine though.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi Brookster...

I was only wrong about Dwarf Hair grass once. And, that's when I thought I was wrong. I've kept it before years and years ago under the conditions I gave. So, thanks for the challenge. I'll go get some and then whomever reads this and wants to grow this plant without expensive ferts or lighting can do it with the right tank dimensions. Check out Aquariadise.com. A good, knowledgeable source for aquatic plant information. It seems to me there's some good information about keeping this plant.

Thanks again,

B
Old 10-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Hi Brookster...

I was only wrong about Dwarf Hair grass once. And, that's when I thought I was wrong. I've kept it before years and years ago under the conditions I gave. So, thanks for the challenge. I'll go get some and then whomever reads this and wants to grow this plant without expensive ferts or lighting can do it with the right tank dimensions. Check out Aquariadise.com. A good, knowledgeable source for aquatic plant information. It seems to me there's some good information about keeping this plant.

Thanks again,

B
Pics or it didnt happen.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Hello A...

B
Hi, BBradbury. Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problem. I'm getting things together and wouldn't dream of not backing up my post with some photos. Anyone else who'd like to try this, you'll want a shorter, but longer tank. I'm going to use a 20 gallon long, if I can locate a used one. If not, I'll take what I can get and make some changes. I like to take advantage of used equipment if I can. Would it be cheating if I used something like Aqausoil or root tabs? I didn't last time, but I feel like I need to produce something pretty quickly.

Remember, you'll need to supplement with the N,P,K macronutrients.

B
Old 10-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

pH during cycling new planted tank

Quote:
No problem. I'm getting things together and wouldn't dream of not backing up my post with some photos. Anyone else who'd like to try this, you'll want a shorter, but longer tank. I'm going to use a 20 gallon long, if I can locate a used one. If not, I'll take what I can get and make some changes. I like to take advantage of used equipment if I can. Would it be cheating if I used something like Aqausoil or root tabs? I didn't last time, but I feel like I need to produce something pretty quickly.

Remember, you'll need to supplement with the N,P,K macronutrients.

B

Hi B,

No need to by a new tank. If this is for experimental purposes only you can lower the water level to increase the surface to volume ratio for increased co2/o2 levels. Less water will also increase the plants exposure to light.

If you say all you need is NPK and this can be done via fish food then anything else is cheating in my opinion although Iím in agreement with you that it can be done.

Tags
cycling, plant, planted, planted tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com