pH during cycling new planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A1720

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, everyone,
I have a new planted tank not cycled yet. I have lost all my filter media in my old cycled tank, so I have to start cycling from the very beginning. It’s my first time to use co2 injection. I’ve already planted hair grass in the Amazonia soil. And CO2 is being injected with lights on 6 hours daily. ADA soil leaches out plenty of ammonia and I don’t have to add any of it.
pH without CO2 injection is around 6.4 and I believe it’s normal when using ADA soil. When CO2 is being injected, pH dropped to around 5.6.
I am now doubted if pH at 5.6 would badly affect the good bacteria and the cycling process.
Could anybody advise me? Many thanks

You’ll have to wait it out. Eventually it will cycle it will just take little longer than normal.

Sounds like you are doing the right things at the moment.

You’ll have to wait it out. Eventually it will cycle it will just take little longer than normal.

Sounds like you are doing the right things at the moment.

Thanks a lot!

Growing Hairgrass

Hi, everyone,
I have a new planted tank not cycled yet. I have lost all my filter media in my old cycled tank, so I have to start cycling from the very beginning. It’s my first time to use co2 injection. I’ve already planted hair grass in the Amazonia soil. And CO2 is being injected with lights on 6 hours daily. ADA soil leaches out plenty of ammonia and I don’t have to add any of it.
pH without CO2 injection is around 6.4 and I believe it’s normal when using ADA soil. When CO2 is being injected, pH dropped to around 5.6.
I am now doubted if pH at 5.6 would badly affect the good bacteria and the cycling process.
Could anybody advise me? Many thanks

Hello A...

You don't need CO2 with Hairgrass. Unlike, most other carpet plants, it only requires medium light, so the fertilizer the fish produce is all it needs. You don't need to worry about the water chemistry. As long as you keep it steady with large, weekly water changes once the tank cycles, you'll be good.

CO2 is pricey and can tricky to set up and maintain. Save this type of system for the plants that require strong lighting and when you've gotten some more experience growing the easier plants.

B

Hello A...

You don't need CO2 with Hairgrass. Unlike, most other carpet plants, it only requires medium light, so the fertilizer the fish produce is all it needs. You don't need to worry about the water chemistry. As long as you keep it steady with large, weekly water changes once the tank cycles, you'll be good.

CO2 is pricey and can tricky to set up and maintain. Save this type of system for the plants that require strong lighting and when you've gotten some more experience growing the easier plants.

B
Dwarf hair grass is definitely a plant that benefits from high light and co2. Not to be confused with standard hair grass, probably what you're thinking of.

Dwarf Hairgrass

Dwarf hair grass is definitely a plant that benefits from high light and co2. Not to be confused with standard hair grass, probably what you're thinking of.

Hi Brook...

No. i was talking about Dwarf Hairgrass. It takes just moderate light and you don't need to supplement with a CO2 system. A shorter tank with a couple of florescent, T8, 6500K bulbs is fine for growing this one. All you need to dose is nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. You can make sure the fish are fed these and they'll take care of fertilizing.

B

Hi Brookster...

I was only wrong about Dwarf Hair grass once. And, that's when I thought I was wrong. I've kept it before years and years ago under the conditions I gave. So, thanks for the challenge. I'll go get some and then whomever reads this and wants to grow this plant without expensive ferts or lighting can do it with the right tank dimensions. Check out Aquariadise.com. A good, knowledgeable source for aquatic plant information. It seems to me there's some good information about keeping this plant.

Thanks again,

B

Hi Brookster...

I was only wrong about Dwarf Hair grass once. And, that's when I thought I was wrong. I've kept it before years and years ago under the conditions I gave. So, thanks for the challenge. I'll go get some and then whomever reads this and wants to grow this plant without expensive ferts or lighting can do it with the right tank dimensions. Check out Aquariadise.com. A good, knowledgeable source for aquatic plant information. It seems to me there's some good information about keeping this plant.

Thanks again,

B
Pics or it didnt happen.

Hello A...

B
Hi, BBradbury. Thanks for your advice.

No problem. I'm getting things together and wouldn't dream of not backing up my post with some photos. Anyone else who'd like to try this, you'll want a shorter, but longer tank. I'm going to use a 20 gallon long, if I can locate a used one. If not, I'll take what I can get and make some changes. I like to take advantage of used equipment if I can. Would it be cheating if I used something like Aqausoil or root tabs? I didn't last time, but I feel like I need to produce something pretty quickly.

Remember, you'll need to supplement with the N,P,K macronutrients.

B

No problem. I'm getting things together and wouldn't dream of not backing up my post with some photos. Anyone else who'd like to try this, you'll want a shorter, but longer tank. I'm going to use a 20 gallon long, if I can locate a used one. If not, I'll take what I can get and make some changes. I like to take advantage of used equipment if I can. Would it be cheating if I used something like Aqausoil or root tabs? I didn't last time, but I feel like I need to produce something pretty quickly.

Remember, you'll need to supplement with the N,P,K macronutrients.

B

Hi B,

No need to by a new tank. If this is for experimental purposes only you can lower the water level to increase the surface to volume ratio for increased co2/o2 levels. Less water will also increase the plants exposure to light.

If you say all you need is NPK and this can be done via fish food then anything else is cheating in my opinion although I’m in agreement with you that it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom