Ph fluctuations, new tank, not cycled, with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I'll try to find a gh/kh kit (would the Pet store have them or...?).

I'll pick up a new kit today and see what else they have for water tests.

I did another test this morning at 2:30 AM but only tested the ammonia (worried it was too high) and it was 0.25 so I did a 4 gal pwc
This morning at 9:30 AM: ph was off the chart dark blue (AAAAHHHH!!!), high range ph was 7.4, ammonia still at 0.25, no nitrates/nitrites

I'm going to seriously pull my hair out.....

So I purchased a new API test. Came home and the ph was 7.6 (light blue). I did a 70% water change for an 0.25 ammonia reading, waited a couple of hours, just did another test and it's still 7.6, high range PH is about 8.3 which is new for me but ok.

I went to PetCo to buy the supplies and talked to an aquarium employee there. Told them my situation. He seemed to know about cycling and that adding my fish so early wasn't good and seemed upset that the employees at PetSmart told me different. Anyway since he seemed knowledgeable I asked him about my PH issue and he suggested I purchase Neutral Regulatorwhich is supposed to keep the ph at 7.0. I bought it but haven't opened or used it yet. Anyone have experience with this? Should I use it if my ph keeps fluctuating?

Just remember that if the normal test is light blue (7.6), that is your signal to then use the high range.
Since your high range then tested 8.3, this is your ph. Totally ignore the light blue (7.6).

From here on, only use the normal range if your high range tests it's lowest color.

Not sure about using the regulator. I don't have any experience with them so don't want to steer you one way or the other.

If it was my tanks that were having the issues, I would stop with the pwc's for an entire day. I would walk away from testing anything and let it sit. Nature likes equilibrium and I would try to put the hole thing out of my mind. When you come back to it you may see something differently.

Back
Top Bottom