pH Getting Lower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Guys,
I have a 6 gallon tank with a betta and a small bristlenose pleco (I am cycling a 30 gal tank and am moving the pleco soon, don't worry). I didn't know much about cycling when I started this tank so it was not properly set up when I put the fish in. I have ammonia levels around 4 ppm and my pH was steady at around 6.0, but I have been doing daily water changes/gravel vacuuming and adding prime to the new water. My pH went up to about 6.4 for a week or two and that was good but all of a sudden it has dropped down to 6.0 again. The only reason I can think of is that I have recently started feeding boiled zucchini slices to my pleco and it kinda makes a mess because little zucchini fibers float around and get stuck in the gravel and filter. I have still been vacuuming every day but the pH isn't getting better yet. Any ideas?
I also have a piece of mopani wood, two banana plants and two bamboo plants in the tank.

The mopani can drop ph but I would he more worried about the ammonia in the tank right now. 4ppm is toxic to fish and will cause problems. I would immediately do back to back 50% water changes waiting 1 hour between changes. I think 4 - 5 would be sufficient to get the ammonia down to manageable levels.

Oh wow ok, I will do that right now. Should I add water conditioner with every change every hour? Or would that be overkill? I definitely didn't do my research before getting fish so I hope my fish don't pay the price for it :(

Oh wow ok, I will do that right now. Should I add water conditioner with every change every hour? Or would that be overkill? I definitely didn't do my research before getting fish so I hope my fish don't pay the price for it :(

Yep, definitely add water conditioner to all water that's going in the tank. You should be looking at keeping your ammonia at .25ppm or lower to keep your fish safe.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

Yep, definitely add water conditioner to all water that's going in the tank. You should be looking at keeping your ammonia at .25ppm or lower to keep your fish safe.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Good news! I did two water changes last night and one this morning and ammonia levels are now at about .25/0 ppm! pH is still at 6.0 though, not sure how to raise the pH. I'll just keep doing my daily water change and vacuuming the gravel. Thanks for your help

A ph of 6.5 or lower will slow biological activity and a ph of 6 or lower will stop biological activity and BB will begin to die. Since you have a low ph your going to have a heck of a time cycling. Using crushed coral would be my normal suggestion but with being such a small tank you might have to get creative. Try putting some (not a lot for that size tank) in a media bag and hang it under your filter outflow. Maybe you could find a small piece of Texas holey rock as that would work. Some sea shells that don't have a shiny coating will often work. In the mean time add about 1/16th of a teaspoon of predissolved baking soda to the tank to get some buffer in so the ph begins to raise.

A ph of 6.5 or lower will slow biological activity and a ph of 6 or lower will stop biological activity and BB will begin to die. Since you have a low ph your going to have a heck of a time cycling. Using crushed coral would be my normal suggestion but with being such a small tank you might have to get creative. Try putting some (not a lot for that size tank) in a media bag and hang it under your filter outflow. Maybe you could find a small piece of Texas holey rock as that would work. Some sea shells that don't have a shiny coating will often work. In the mean time add about 1/16th of a teaspoon of predissolved baking soda to the tank to get some buffer in so the ph begins to raise.

Thanks for the reply, I've been doing daily water changes for almost a month now and the pH was just starting to raise and then it dropped again, still don't really know why :( I've never heard of baking soda though, that won't hurt the fish? I definitely go to my lfs this weekend and buy some crushed coral to try to help.

A small amount of baking soda is fine. Many people use it as a cheap buffer but I prefer to only use it as an emergency buffer to help kick start raising ph if needed.

Back
Top Bottom