PH Help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wingman-Goose

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently set up a tank which is 2 weeks into cycling and is being prepared for discus. I am fish-in cycling the tank which currently contains 14 small Neons, 5 Black Phantom Tetras and 5 Harlequins ( all the fish are small ).

The tank is a 400 litre tank which is just under 6 foot in length and about 2 foot high.

The tank also contains numerous plants and pieces of wood in Oliver Knott substrate. ( This substrate is meant to keep the pH near neutral ).

I am looking for help as I have done some water checks today and the pH using my tetra laborett kit is at 5.0 which is the lowest reading. This seems too low for the fish I will be putting in.

Can anyone help as to why the pH is so low? Is it to do with the cycling and if so will it come back up?

I have another tank running with gravel, plants and wood which the pH stays consistently at 7.5-8!

PH crashes aren't unusual during cycling but they are problematic as at that PH level your bacteria starts to die.

You're just going to have to do watch changes to rebuffer the water and continue on.

Also I'd be very suspicious of your wood in your tank, while your PH crash is likely the result of the cycling process I had my PH drop to below 6.0 as a result of having too much driftwood in my tank.

Do a large water change and it will bump the ph up, don't be alarmed at your ph decrease as it is normal during the cycling process due to buffer bein used up by the bacteria!

Wingman-Goose said:
I have recently set up a tank which is 2 weeks into cycling and is being prepared for discus. I am fish-in cycling the tank which currently contains 14 small Neons, 5 Black Phantom Tetras and 5 Harlequins ( all the fish are small ).

The tank is a 400 litre tank which is just under 6 foot in length and about 2 foot high.

The tank also contains numerous plants and pieces of wood in Oliver Knott substrate. ( This substrate is meant to keep the pH near neutral ).

I am looking for help as I have done some water checks today and the pH using my tetra laborett kit is at 5.0 which is the lowest reading. This seems too low for the fish I will be putting in.

Can anyone help as to why the pH is so low? Is it to do with the cycling and if so will it come back up?

I have another tank running with gravel, plants and wood which the pH stays consistently at 7.5-8!

Idk if you've read this. But u need a lg wc.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

I am not familiar with this substrate but i suspect it may have something to do with your low ph in addition to the dw. Did you thoroughly soak/boil the dw? I would stay on top of your water changes & testing in the meantime & hopefully someone with experience with this product can advise!

I do have alot of wood in the tank but would prefer not to have to take any of it out. Ironically I had initially chosen the wood route as rock can raise the pH. All the wood was soaked for a long period of time, however, unfortunately the last and largest piece of wood when put in the tank let out some more tanning. Could this effect pH?

The Oliver Knott stuff is meant to maintain pH at 6.8-7 and I have read reviews that it has been consistent. I haven't seen anyone else mention it causing a pH crash. I am hoping once the cycle is complete that the pH will rise.

I was / am doing water changes of 10-15% every two days as this was what I had seen in the fish-in cycle instruction I initially found.

Yes, the dw will lower the ph especially if its still leeching tannins. Please read the link posted above- you really should be doing larger water changes (50%) almost daily to keep your levels of ammonia & nitrite under .25ppm until your tank is cycled. The larger water changes will also help to remove tannins & re-establish buffers to raise your ph as well.

Thanks for you quick replays! Will have to see what I can do to get the pH back in track!

Is there anything that can be put in to raise pH if it doesn't come back up other than chemicals?

I'd test that pH a few more times to be certain, that's really really low.

Adding a bit of crushed coral or aragonite in a mesh bag in the filter will help raise the pH but I would be certain that you aren't getting faulty test readings first.

If it doesn't come back up chemicals will only be a temporary solution

I wouldn't use chemicals as to likely to fluctuate! Was wondering about items that could be hidden in the aquascaping like rocks?

Back
Top Bottom