pH Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm planning to have one dwarf gourami, school of neons, few guppies/swordtails and some bottom dwellers. Would you guys recommend ada 1 or 2?

Goramis are schooling fish, so I suggest at least 3-5. On the other hand, Goramis produce a lot of ammonia so frequent water changes must be part of your normal routine (2-3 water changes per week at 20% each). Neons are rather hearty fish, but they have been bread a lot in captivity so they may be genetically flawed. Be sure to get them from a reputable breeder or LFS. I suggest getting your bottom dwellers first as coreys are good for cycling a new tank, but beware, go very slowly as ammonia and nitrite are your key concerns with a new tank. A PH of 6.7 is suggested as ammonia becomes ammonium and is less toxic to fish. Your first step however will be your substrate. Dwayne

Actually you only should get 1 gourami. Getting more than 1 in a tank that size can turn into a nightmare. The only other thing you need to seriously consider is dropping swords off you list. Most people don't realize swords, especially males can get 5+ inches and have very heavy bio-loads. You could do platies instead if you really want another livebearer. The rest of your stock looks good.

35 gallons will fill up quickly with soil and eco. You will have a lot of displacement so you will have a lot less water in the tank than you think. I imagine with the soil and eco, you will displace to to 5 gallons (15 liters) of water. Base your total water volume and water changes on that of a 29 gallon tank. Hope this helps.........Dwayne

Back
Top Bottom