pH is way too low!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey2619

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,
I'm having a problem with my pH hitting 6.0 in both of my tanks. When I test the tap immediately, its around 6.8, but as the water sits and the gasses dissipate into the atmosphere, it also drops to 6.0. What options do I have to bump the pH up to reasonable levels without constantly having to add buffer to both tanks?

Wow thats low. What is the Kh of your water? Where on the island are you? Crushed coral in the filter should do the trick.

Dissapation of CO2 from the tap perhaps?

You could look up your water report on the water company's website to find out more information. Add a pretty conch shell to your tank or a natural dead coral or some barnicles. Anything from the sea that is dead will help harden the water, or like rich said, a bag of crushed coral in the filter.

How long do the water hardening effects of crushed coral last?

And where would I purchase crushed coral? How much should I get? Ive got a 30 and a 75 gallon.

MyCatsDrool said:
Dissapation of CO2 from the tap perhaps?

You could look up your water report on the water company's website to find out more information. Add a pretty conch shell to your tank or a natural dead coral or some barnicles. Anything from the sea that is dead will help harden the water, or like rich said, a bag of crushed coral in the filter.

CO2 outgassing from the tap RAISES pH, not the other way around. That is some really acidic water you have there. I would buffer it at water changes with baking soda. 1/4tsp per 5 gallons or so will keep the pH higher and not harm the fish/plants. I would do it over the course of several weeks however; something like 25% the total amount of baking soda the first water change, 50% the next, 75% the 3rd, and finally the full amount at the last water change. That will slowly raise the KH of your tank without shocking the fish.

Also more consistent than crushed coral and cheaper.

It last 3-4 months. Any store that sells SW stuff will have it. You really only need a handful in each tank. If you have a regular store they may even give you a cup or two full.

Just another thought. If this is something that is just recently occurring, there may be an issue with the tank itself. The recommendations above will not address it if it is.

Are the tanks cycled? What are the ammonia readings? Usually water from the tap will be lower in pH that that in the tank (because of CO2 dissipation)....unless you have something in the tank that lowers it (like CO2....). I'm wondering if its an ammonia issue...

Jchillin said:
Just another thought. If this is something that is just recently occurring, there may be an issue with the tank itself. The recommendations above will not address it if it is.

Jchillin and JustOneMore20,

The problem that has me concerned is that it appears his TAP WATER is reading the same, not just the tank water. In his first post he mentions that if he lets it sit out and then tests it is 6.0 instead of 6.8. That would make me think it is not a tank issue but rather a tap issue (or test kit).

Quick question to the OP: What are you using to test pH? I'm wondering if its a pH meter that has fallen out of calibration and is just reading really low. That still wouldn't explain the drop of pH when sitting out, but it might make it so you don't need to add anything to buffer the water higher..

lack of aeration will drop ph. As an experiment, aerate the water and check the ph again. If this fixes the problem, then add airstones or a powerhead to your tank to promote good gas exchange at the surface. If you have the tank tightly covered with glass, this will also lower the ph.

The tanks have been running for about 5 years now. I already have air bars in each tank and the 72g has a powerhead in it already, sucking air in. I am using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Deluxe pH test kit. Its relatively new, probably 4 months old at max.

When we put Seachem buffer in the tank, we usually have to add more the next day, is this the same with the baking soda? I just find it to be troublesome.

7Enigma said:
Jchillin said:

Jchillin and JustOneMore20,

The problem that has me concerned is that it appears his TAP WATER is reading the same, not just the tank water. In his first post he mentions that if he lets it sit out and then tests it is 6.0 instead of 6.8. That would make me think it is not a tank issue but rather a tap issue (or test kit).

I saw what appeared to be tap at 6.8 then after gassing out (assumed it was the tank) read at 6.0. Made me think about the past experience with the tank.

So, this problem has always been present in the 5 years the tank has been set up?

Joey2619 said:
The tanks have been running for about 5 years now. I already have air bars in each tank and the 72g has a powerhead in it already, sucking air in. I am using the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Deluxe pH test kit. Its relatively new, probably 4 months old at max.

When we put Seachem buffer in the tank, we usually have to add more the next day, is this the same with the baking soda? I just find it to be troublesome.

No, it is added ONLY at water change time, taking into consideration evaporation losses (the dissolved solids are still there just in a smaller amount of water). Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Most of these pH "buffers" are phosphate-based and are meant to bring a tank to a specific pH. Baking soda will only raise the KH (carbonate hardness) so it doesn't say, "tank go to pH7.0!", instead it just raises the KH a set amount, which in turn raises the pH.

Back
Top Bottom