Ph Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterflyjenni

Aquarium Advice Regular
My water has a ph of 8 and I was wondering if there are any natural (non chemical) ways of lowering it. I wouldn't mind so much but I have an angel and a GBR.

Short of using RO/DI water, there's no real way to get pH down (assuming it's a hard water issue). That being said, I know for a fact that healthy GBRs can live and thrive in high pH water. Not sure on angels, but they can't be any more sensitive that rams, can they?

aqua_chem said:
Short of using RO/DI water, there's no real way to get pH down (assuming it's a hard water issue). That being said, I know for a fact that healthy GBRs can live and thrive in high pH water. Not sure on angels, but they can't be any more sensitive that rams, can they?

No way, Angels are hardy than GBR... At least IME

Honestly, I wouldn't personally mess with the pH if its just 8. As long as the angel and ram are doing ok now, they will probably do ok in the future too. Peat moss is supposed ot lower the pH, but I have not personally tried it before.

I've seen rams breed in pH 8 (those were my own) and heard of them being raised in high pH as well (7.7, a friend of mine). That being said, I think that ram EGGS have a real issue with high pH, commonly developing fungus and failing to develop. However, when my rams bred in pH 8, I took it as a sign of health.

Just get good stock. LFS farm raised rams might have issues.

Ok good. This makes me feel much better. I only have one of each so I'm not worried about spawning or anything.

Back
Top Bottom