Ph levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstp18

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just tested and ph tested at 7.6 and high ph tested at 8.8. Do I need to lower it? All other numbers are where they should be. Thanks

Typically 7.4 or so, and yes, I did a water change yesterday afternoon.

my pH has always been at 7.6
i cant remember my high range pH tough...

Nope, it's fine. YOur tap water is probably 8.8 and then after it gasses out it settles down to 7.4 which is what your true PH is. I wouldn't touch it. Just be careful with doing too large a water change at once because the PH out of the tap is a lot higher than the tank's PH. I'm in a similar situation as my tap's PH is 8.4 but it settles down to 7.2 which is what my tank's PH is. I tend to err on the side of caution and put the tap water in a large tub with an air stone for a couple of hours to let the PH gas out before I put it into the tank but if you do smaller water changes 2-3x per week you should be fine.

torres said:
my pH has always been at 7.6
i cant remember my high range pH tough...

Just to clarify... You don't have two different pH values. If your low pH test pegs high then you use they high range pH test to determine your pH.

Just to clarify... You don't have two different pH values. If your low pH test pegs high then you use they high range pH test to determine your pH.
alright then thanks ;p

Thanks, everyone. I feel much better. If I do smaller changes 2-3 x's per week, how much should I change each time given a 38-gal tank.

jstp18 said:
Thanks, everyone. I feel much better. If I do smaller changes 2-3 x's per week, how much should I change each time given a 38-gal tank.

Depends how you do your PWCs.

Do you use a Python type thing? Then maybe I'd do 20-25% twice a week as your dumping high pH water directly into your tank.

If you use buckets like me then here's how I do 50% once a week as the water I use starts out with a pH lower then 6.0. I have five gallon water jugs I got from Walmart. I fill the jugs from my well the day before and let them bubble overnight. In the morning the pH has climbed to 6.8. Then I use a vinyl hose to syphon the water from the jugs into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom