ph levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alefaz14

Aquarium Advice Regular
So today I tested my aquarium ph and it read around 7.8. I have a community aquarium and the large majority of my fish are tetras that prefer a ph that is around neutral or slightly acidic, so a ph of 7.8 would probably be too high. I tested the tap water that I put in my aquarium when I do water changes and it was around 7.5. I put in water conditioner into the tap water when I do water changes to make it safe for the fish. I am wondering what is a good way to lower the ph to around 7, and also if 7.8 is a normal ph and if it isn't, what is causing it to be higher than normal.:fish1:

There isn't a "normal" pH. There are many factors that can cause pH to rise and fall which I will not try to explain lol

At any rate as long as your pH is stable your fish will be fine. Attempting to adjust pH with chemicals will most likely make things worse.

Your pH is fine, doing anything to lower it or raise it will definitely give you pH problems. Enjoy the fish!

There isn't a "normal" pH. There are many factors that can cause pH to rise and fall which I will not try to explain lol

At any rate as long as your pH is stable your fish will be fine. Attempting to adjust pH with chemicals will most likely make things worse.

This is all very true. The only thing I could add is the other thing the pH "buffers" help, is draining your pockets of hard earned $$$.

What do you have in your tank? Sand? Any crushed coral? I'm just curious how it goes up in the tank. Also, 7.8 is fine. Stability is key.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The red fluorite is the gravel that I have and I also have a rock, log, live plants, and co2 bubbling system.

Interesting. The co2 should cause a drop in pH below 7... what type are you using? DIY or pressurized?

Also, what is your GH/KH?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've have a pH of 8.0-8.2 and the tetras I used to keep were jest fine

Interesting. The co2 should cause a drop in pH below 7... what type are you using? DIY or pressurized?

Also, what is your GH/KH?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pressurized. The co2 comes in those pressurized metal canisters.

Back
Top Bottom