ph levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jill Marie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Got an api master test kit. If I am doing it correctly (right drop size etc) all my levels are 0 except for my ph is a little high.

How can I safely lower it without use of chemicals?

I had 2 mica rocks and a piece of petrified wood in the tank. I read the mica MAY be bad so removed them. A couple sites said they were bad, a couple others said safe, but when in doubt, take them out. The petrified wood has been in the aquarium for a number of years with no issues, but now I have a different type f fish who may be more sensitive to ph levels. The petrified wood is a very hard piece. Should I remove it as well?

Also I am using filters that contain a small amount of charcoal in them. Do most people still use that? How does charcoal effect ph?

Your Tank's Chemistry

Got an api master test kit. If I am doing it correctly (right drop size etc) all my levels are 0 except for my ph is a little high.

How can I safely lower it without use of chemicals?

I had 2 mica rocks and a piece of petrified wood in the tank. I read the mica MAY be bad so removed them. A couple sites said they were bad, a couple others said safe, but when in doubt, take them out. The petrified wood has been in the aquarium for a number of years with no issues, but now I have a different type f fish who may be more sensitive to ph levels. The petrified wood is a very hard piece. Should I remove it as well?

Also I am using filters that contain a small amount of charcoal in them. Do most people still use that? How does charcoal effect ph?

Hello JM...

If you're keeping fish from the pet store and not some rare species, you don't need to worry about the pH, hardness or anything like this. It's not important to the success of the tank. The fish will get used to the water chemisty. Just change the water regularly and make sure you treat it to remove chlorine and chloramine.

To check if a piece is safe for the tank, just drop a little vinegar on it. If there's a reaction of any sort. Toss the piece, don't use it.

Chemical medium or carbon or charcoal isn't needed. If you're a tank keeper who changes the tank water regularly, by this I mean weekly and changes about half or so, the fish and plants will be fine.

Hope this information is helpful.

B

Thanks, I just tested the petrified wood, on many sections as there are different sections that look like a different material. All came out fine, so rinsed well, dried, and put back. As for the mica, I tested it too. It also came out fine, but I am unsure of putting it back. while very pretty, it does flake off quite a bit all over, so am leaving it out. Hopefully the fish wont miss it. As for what I am keeping, here is the full story: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f59/hi-fin-banded-shark-316868.html#post3018267

What I have read is he likes a ph from 6.5 to 7.5, with optimum being 7. Right now the ph is 7.6 so want to bring it down just a bit and keep it there.

So far he seems happy and healthy though so I am not panicking.

Most fish can adapt to a variety of pH levels, but I don't know enough about your specific fish to say it would be fine for sure.
You could try adding peat to your filter. They sell it at most LFS... at least by me they do. How much of an impact it will have on your filter depends on your water's General Hardness.
Driftwood has been known to slightly lower pH as well, but again your water's GH will be the deciding factor.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom