PH levels and ammonia.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glyn Oliver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, well I am pleased to say that I have eventually got through the cycle with a 55 gallon tank and what a relief to have done it without losing any fish. I didn't intent to do a fish in cycle but had no option, but thats another story!!! Any how my problem, well its my mothers problem, is her 28 gallon tank seem to have a problem with its cycle. There is a problem with her PH levels being really low at 6.0, she is also in a constant state of high ammonia. Is it true that low PH will stall a cycle? She lives right near me and I would assume we get the same water supply. It only tests about 6.4 from the tap but my tank PH tests at 7.2 ish. I have natural gravel in my tank and pieces of bog wood, she has some fancy blue gravel and what look like limestone rocks. Any one have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Taff.

Yes, low pH will stall the cycle. As nitrates rise, the water becomes more acidic. A big water change will help restore the buffers. Also, a bit of crushed coral or aragonite in a mesh bag in the filter can help stabilize the pH.

How long has her tank been set up? What fish does she have? What's her water change schedule? Has she tested the tap water for ammonia to see if any is coming from the tap water?

So her PH out of her tap is 6.4. Ask her to leave a glass of tap water out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally) and then test PH again; sometimes PH can change after it gasses off. If it's different from 6, then something in or about the tank is making PH plunge. If it really is 6, then yes low PH can stall the nitrification process. She could add a teaspoon or two of crushed coral or argonite (sold at most fish stores in the saltwater section) in a mesh media bag or clean (never washed with detergent) nylon stocking and add it to her filter if it'll fit (if not, then add it into the tank near the intake tube). Keep testing PH and add/remove coral as needed to get the PH to stay around 7.

This guide might help some too: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Its a fish in cycle, she had 3 neons, 3 harlequins, 2 or 3 corys and 2 more little ones which I can't remember...... the water was starting to show very slight nitrites but I think that has gone, but there are no nitrAtes, I just get the feeling the cycle has stalled....?

Back
Top Bottom