pH of 8.2- too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have guppies and corys in the tank and was curious if this is too high, and what are some ways to lower it?

Most freshwater fish accept a wide range of pH as long as it's stable. "pH Down" stuff and the like is useless. Waste of money that your lfs tries to get from you. Unless it's like, 9 or 10, don't worry about it. It's the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia you have to keep an eye on.

KatieJ said:
Most freshwater fish accept a wide range of pH as long as it's stable. "pH Down" stuff and the like is useless. Waste of money that your lfs tries to get from you. Unless it's like, 9 or 10, don't worry about it. It's the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia you have to keep an eye on.

Ok thanks. My pH is stable, so I wont mess with it.

I keep 3 types of cories, Endlers, platies, pearl gouramis, and harlequin rasboras at ph 8.6 and all are eating well. The cories, Endlers and platies breed too. I would like a lower ph but there's not much we can do about it ;)

I've had what I believe to be a pretty successful community tank since may or june with a pH of 8.2. You will be fine, like the others have said, the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate will be the most critical parameters.

Back
Top Bottom