PH problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

f1shy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Starting new 95g. New house with well water. Can't seem to lower PH.
Have been using Seachem Neutral Regulator (7.0) daily for 4 days. Not
much luck. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What is your pH? What do you want it to be? Adding chemicals is not a good way to manage pH as you will always be chasing it as it will fluctuate.

Hello f1...

Well water shouldn't create a problem. As long as the pH is between 6 and 8.5 and is steady, you can keep most aquarium fish. Just treat the well water with one of the standard treatments like Seachem's "Safe" and change out half the tank water every few days and your tank should run fine.

B

Thanks for your replies. My pH is 7.8. Planning on angels, discus. I don't want to use chemicals to lower as I would eventually like to keep plants. Any ways to naturally lower? I apologize for the rookie apprentice question. Before I moved, I had a 125g for 34 years where I rarely had to test the water at all?
I guess I am being overly cautious because I had to have so much water treatment equipment installed in the new house. Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies. My pH is 7.8. Planning on angels, discus. I don't want to use chemicals to lower as I would eventually like to keep plants. Any ways to naturally lower? I apologize for the rookie apprentice question. Before I moved, I had a 125g for 34 years where I rarely had to test the water at all?
I guess I am being overly cautious because I had to have so much water treatment equipment installed in the new house. Thanks again.
Your angels will do good but discus are delicate so I don't know about them. Maybe someone can help. But for angels I can guarantee you that your ph won't be a problem. Its not high.

To drop pH naturally add some driftwood to tank. Buffering substrate like ADA Amazonia or many brands available. Some rocks increase pH so look out if you have any. But in my opinion most fish live and thrive in your ph easily

I have 8.4-8.6 pH here. I keep and have kept several fish in this pH over the years including Angels. I currently have an older Angel and he's never had any problems. I read an article not to long ago about keeping discus in up to 8.0 pH!! So might be possible.

a good way to lower your PH is to use peat moss. Soak it in a bucket for a day or two so it doesn't turn your water a yellowish green color. Put it in a filter bag and drop it in the filter where the water flows over it. That will help drop it naturally and you do not have to worry about it for a while.

Indian Almond leaves and drift wood also does this. The tannins essentially lowers the pH but you have to switch them out as you will lose tannins on PWC's and the pH will rise again. I think a pH of 7.8 is good enough to keep nearly anything.

If you really want discus get an RO system...
Just my opinion but for such an investment a little protection goes a long way..
This on ph IMO.
I have a buddy down 2 counties from me who breeds his rams in his tap water.
I asked what his ph is and he said 7.6 . I asked him my ph is 7.6 ,what is your TDS ?
He said his TDS was 90.. My TDS is 350 +....
Point being ph is a very broad measurement that for some fish may not contain the necessary info about your waters real parameters...
Do you know your TDS ? IMO it is way more important then ph....

Thanks for all the info. Just moved near Kingston from Long Island.
Would definitely like to pay you visit in near future.

Thanks for all the info. Just moved near Kingston from Long Island.
Would definitely like to pay you visit in near future.

Nice !
Welcome to "upstate' [Kingston:nono:] !....
You'll have to go a little farther North but the ride is worth it.
I worked several jobs down that way last year and am in that area often..
I like to take rides on the Taconic on weekends...(y)
Get a TDS meter .
The HM 3 should be fine .It is what use and only $20

If you really want discus get an RO system...
Just my opinion but for such an investment a little protection goes a long way..
This on ph IMO.
I have a buddy down 2 counties from me who breeds his rams in his tap water.
I asked what his ph is and he said 7.6 . I asked him my ph is 7.6 ,what is your TDS ?
He said his TDS was 90.. My TDS is 350 +....
Point being ph is a very broad measurement that for some fish may not contain the necessary info about your waters real parameters...
Do you know your TDS ? IMO it is way more important then ph....
As is kh and gh as well?

Back
Top Bottom