Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2004, 11:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Colors vary between the camera taking the pic and my monitor settings naturally but here's how it looks to me:
The PH of your tap water that's been sitting a day appears to be pretty close to 7.0 - There is a LOT of ammonia in your tank so definately keep up your water changes. There doesn't appear to be any nitrites though but considering how high your ammonia is you're most likely going to end up with nitrites pretty soon.

Do you by chance have driftwood in your tank? Because that will definately lower your PH. And make for sure there are no dead fish stuck somewhere because I think that will cause a lower PH as well.

Old 08-12-2004, 12:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaraber
Do you by chance have driftwood in your tank? Because that will definately lower your PH. And make for sure there are no dead fish stuck somewhere because I think that will cause a lower PH as well.
Driftwood alone wouldn't drop the PH from 7 or 8 down to 1 with a KH of 5. Something else is causing that PH to drop. A dead fish is a possibility, especially considering the amount of ammonia in the tank (I agree that it looks like a considerable amount).

There is either too much waste for the UG filter to handle or you're not getting enough gunk out when you vacuum. With that level of ammonia, your fish are in danger if it isn't reduced pretty quickly.

Keep going on those water changes and THOROUGH vacuumings.

Getting back into the hobby... restocking a 55 Gallon tank with peacock cichlids (currently housing 2 synodontis petricolas). Planning a complete overhaul of my 30 Gallon Oceanic Cube (currently housing a bristlenose pleco and a praecox rainbow).
Madame_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:14 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think Madame is exactly right: the pH drop sounds like it could be caused by a heavy load of dissolved organics in the water. I bet the UGF is the main culprit but there could also be unseen dead fish, decaying food, etc.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 03:28 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

no driftwood, and dont think its dead fish. we take a head count almost every day and everyone is accounted for.

its probably just lots of waste in the gravel. every time i clean the gravel there is just tons of stuff. i changed the water yesterday so i'll wait a few days and change it again. i'm going to see about getting a power filter for the tank, and get off my lazy *** and setup our bigger tank to reduce the number of fish in there.

thanks guys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com