ph question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible for the ph of my tankwater and my tapwater to be the same?
I just tested using the ph test and highrange ph test and both were the same color each time

I used the api master kit.

I was just reading that the ph changed after it sits in your tank.

I did a water change about 2 days ago tho

I have lots of filter disturbance and a bubbler bar. Why would the ph of my tank not change then?

tarpon said:
I used the api master kit.

I was just reading that the ph changed after it sits in your tank.

I did a water change about 2 days ago tho

I'd say your all good to go then it can change in certain water conditions like co2 in the water which makes it more acidic but I'd say you won't have this problem, it's a good idea to give a test to your tap water every once in awhile, if you are worried though put some water in something clean and let it sit for a day or two or you can put an airstone in it to speed up the process, just test right out of the tap and then when your done

Your pH Question

Hello tarp...

Unless your municipal water is acidic, below 7 on the pH scale, not likely, your fish will adapt to alkaline water. Actually, tropical fish prefer alkaline water and I read recently that fish can adapt to water with a pH of up to 8.5 as long as the level stays constant.

B

I know that, that wasn't the question. I was worried about the water in my tank being different than the tap water. So that when I do a water change it won't cause a ph swing. As I don't age my water

I wouldn't worry about it. pH swings in water changes are overrated. Unfortunately some tend to perpetuate mythology about pH shock so people are left attempting to do something like match pH to the letter, when in reality it can have a wide variance over something as simple as level of oxygenation.

The way I understand it is with more buffers in the water, the less the water is apt to have big shifts in pH, so people add something like CC to keep the pH stable.

I wouldn't worry about it. pH swings in water changes are overrated. Unfortunately some tend to perpetuate mythology about pH shock so people are left attempting to do something like match pH to the letter, when in reality it can have a wide variance over something as simple as level of oxygenation.

The way I understand it is with more buffers in the water, the less the water is apt to have big shifts in pH, so people add something like CC to keep the pH stable.

+1 with jetajockey ... if your pH is stable and the tap = tank pH your all set.

pH Tap vs Tank

I know that, that wasn't the question. I was worried about the water in my tank being different than the tap water. So that when I do a water change it won't cause a ph swing. As I don't age my water

Apologies tarp...

Guess I didn't understand how the water coming from your tap would be different than your tank water, other than your tank water has been treated already.

Obviously, I not familiar with your water situation. But, if you haven't had any problems up until the present, then I think all would be fine.

B

Absolutely correct IMO more fish have been killed or stressed by messing with water parameters, than have been by living in water that is a little different than their used to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it(y)

I'm not trying to fix anything.
Please refer to the first post.
My question has been answered.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom