pH Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holokai

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've reasearched the heck out of this subject, and what I've come to determine is that I do not want to mess with chemicals to try to "manage" my pH. The pH of my water from the tap, by the way, is 8.2.

I do have access to RO water from the local grociery store, though, and I'm used to getting 20-25 gallons of it a week for my salt water tank. I think I read that RO water has a pH of around 6? Is that right?

As I am looking to keep a freshwater Stingray (Teacup), I'd like to have the pH lowered to 6-7.

My big question here is, Will there be any drawbacks to me doing water changes with RO water only? this would keep my pH consistant, and between 6-7, where I want it to be.

- Thanks
Chris

I don't know much about this RO water. how does the process work? Is RO water anything like deionized water?

Actually, the water is RO/DI, which stands for Reverse Osmosis/ Deionization. The process involves forcing water through a micro-filter of some sort, that allows only tiny molecules through, namely, H2O. That's about all I know though.

One thing I just thought of, I used Honeycomb rock and some red lava rock from a friends aquarium.. any chance that these could be causing the PH problem?

- chris

Just as important as your pH, what are your GH and KH readings? GH and KH refer to the general hardness and buffering capacity of your tap water. You can get a test kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals at your lfs. If your GH/KH is very high, then lowering the pH will be difficult indeed, and you may have to go the RO water route.

The only problem with RO water, other than the expense and sheer joy of getting it home, is that it's devoid of some trace elements that your fish and plants need to thrive. You could add these back in powdered form, but then that's adding chemicals into the tank.:? Any chance of lowering the pH with peat or driftwood?

I never heard of honeycomb rock, but if it is the same as Texas holeyrock (a form of limestone), it will actually raise your pH, KH, and gH.

That's Exactly what honey comb rock is. It will be out of the tank after I post this *grrr* I agree with you about the RO water possibly causeing a problem with trace elements. I will be interested in seeing what the pH of the water is after I remove the rock, and do a water change with RO. Worse comes to worse, I'll do a water change with 50/50 RO/tap.

Thanks for the information.

- Chris

Yeah buddy, I totally agree. I do know that DI water means no ions of any sort. Just like if we drank DI water we would be dehydrated, fish in DI i would imagine be dehydrated too. ions flow from high concentration to low concentration(or out of the fish into the water). lol i know that much. I think our buddy QTOFFER has the right idea with maybe trying peat or driftwood. Worth a shot. good luck

Yeah, I found someone in the area with some driftwood they want to get rid of, so I'm good there.

I have driftwood in my community and Badis tanks--it has lowered the pH by .5. The tanks are fairly new. The pH should go down further as the tank ages. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom