Ph question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyWanderer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Since the 12th my ph has been 7 then on the 19th through 20th 7.2. Then on the 21st I checked the ph two times at different times and it was 6.8. I tested today and now it's 6.4! I know my tap water is 7.8 out of the facet. Is this worth doing a water change to try and raise it? I have also heard that low ph can cause bb to die or go dormant?

I'd say stick to schedule of weekly 50% PWCs.

What do you have in your tank? Fresh piece of DW that is leaching?

I do have some wood but I soaked it before adding. I do my wc on Fridays, should I do it today instead?

I do have some wood but I soaked it before adding. I do my wc on Fridays, should I do it today instead?

Buffering substrate?
kH value of the tank water?
kH value of the tap water?

Soaking wood won't do much if anything for pH. Also, let tap water sit for 48 hours prior to testing pH to off gas and be a more representative sample of what the tank pH should be.

A stable pH is best, anything from 6.0-7.8 is pretty good.

Buffering substrate?
kH value of the tank water?
kH value of the tap water?

Soaking wood won't do much if anything for pH. Also, let tap water sit for 48 hours prior to testing pH to off gas and be a more representative sample of what the tank pH should be.

A stable pH is best, anything from 6.0-7.8 is pretty good.
Won't a ph below 7.0 mess up a cycled tank or kill BB? I don't have a kH test so I don't know the value of either. I don't have a buffring substrate, I think its a silica coated sand or something like that. During cycling I had normal ph values thats why this worried me. I Have some water that I let sit out since yesterday that I tested today. The ph was 6.8.

With degassed tap water testing that low, I think you may have to look into a kH booster, with low kH you might experience (which you are) varying pH values and a low pH (from driftwood).

a pH of 6.0 is fine for established bb, and is fine for cycling it just may take a little longer.

Fluctuations in pH is not good. Many fish can adjust but you need to fix it. I am not expert about pH but please never use any chemical to lower or increase pH. It will result in pH crash. Maybe check if you have any stones that causing pH fluctuations?

With degassed tap water testing that low, I think you may have to look into a kH booster, with low kH you might experience (which you are) varying pH values and a low pH (from driftwood).

a pH of 6.0 is fine for established bb, and is fine for cycling it just may take a little longer.

Which booster would you recommend?

Fluctuations in pH is not good. Many fish can adjust but you need to fix it. I am not expert about pH but please never use any chemical to lower or increase pH. It will result in pH crash. Maybe check if you have any stones that causing pH fluctuations?

The only rock in the aquarium is a river stone I got from petsmart.

Well I would recommend a kH test kit first, API make a kH + gH test kit that is usually readily available

Just ordered it on amazon, should be here on the 24th. What should I do in the mean time? I feel like tomorrow it will be at 6.0 or something. Should I just WC like normal on Friday with the water that is at 6.8?

Just ordered it on amazon, should be here on the 24th. What should I do in the mean time? I feel like tomorrow it will be at 6.0 or something. Should I just WC like normal on Friday with the water that is at 6.8?

Is there fish/shrimp in the tank? Or is it cycling?

Yes one betta and it is cycled.

I would just leave it be, changing a lot of water will just cause an even larger swing, assuming ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is in check. Wait to see what the kH of the water is, and if it is low than you may need some kH booster or some sort of buffering medium in the tank.

I would just leave it be, changing a lot of water will just cause an even larger swing, assuming ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is in check. Wait to see what the kH of the water is, and if it is low than you may need some kH booster or some sort of buffering medium in the tank.

So just use the 6.8 water for wcs, then test with kit once its here?

So just use the 6.8 water for wcs, then test with kit once its here?

I've put together some of you info, I'll answer in bold here

Since the 12th my ph has been 7 then on the 19th through 20th 7.2. Then on the 21st I checked the ph two times at different times and it was 6.8. I tested today and now it's 6.4! I know my tap water is 7.8 out of the facet. Is this worth doing a water change to try and raise it? I have also heard that low ph can cause bb to die or go dormant?

Looks like you tested partly degassed water giving you the 7.0-7.2 reading. Then did you add the driftwood? This would cause it to drop, possibly to the 6.4

What was the pH prior to adding and after adding the driftwood?

I Have some water that I let sit out since yesterday that I tested today. The ph was 6.8.

Looks like your tank is happy at 6.8 with the driftwood driving it down to 6.4, which is perfectly fine.

I answered in bold.

I'd take the driftwood out. Or rock whatever is doing it. Your gonna give yourself a headache trying to keep that ph at normal with chemicals, and could kill your fish if your not careful. It's just easier to take the driftwood out or rock or both. Imo.

Back
Top Bottom