PH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Binglethort

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a test kit today, it tests the ranges from 6.0 to 7.5
I have 2 oscars and a lot of plants, so I was testing my water and it came out 6.0, so I added PHup. I've tested and added PHup for hours now, almost a full bottle. Its a 72G bow front with a fluval 404. The PH has not changed, could the test kit be broken or could my PH really be that low?

your PH could be that low : )
if adding the PHup did nothing, it might be you have a very strong buffer precence. If you are serious about changing the PH (which i would not be, 6 isn't that bad) you need to get a kit that tests for KH and GH =)
These will help you figure out how to change the PH of your water.

Actually, a strong buffer in the water would make the pH high, not low. I suspect your pH test kit is not working. Furthermore, I would strongly suggest a water change in your tank asap, as the chemicals you added may cause a fatal pH swing to your plants and fish. If you get a new pH test kit and the pH is still registering that low, I would start looking for contaminants in the tank. Good luck!

Thanks. I'm gonna go grab a new test kit and do a 50% water change, or would you all suggest a larger water change?
Thanks Bing

Actually, you can have a buffer that buffers for acid or base. A buffer just helps hold a certain pH, but depending on what the buffer is, it will buffer for a different pH.

Actually, you can have a buffer that buffers for acid or base.

I have to admit my ignorance on this one. What could be in his tank from tap water that would act as an acid buffer? I'm assuming that nothing was added (besides the pH up).

I also, would not add more than a few drops a week. My problem with Ph was it was too high (My kit only went to 7.0 and it was at that end of the spectrum no matter what I did). My water is too hard and I can never get my Ph lower unless I removed some hardness from my tap water.

50% should be enough. Maybe 50% this week and 50% next week.

As for you Ph being too low, I'm not sure. If you want to, you could take a sample to your LFS and they should test it for you. They may even be able to suggest why it's so low.

Just thought of this:

Go to the Regional Forums (it's near the bottom of the list of the form index) and ask if anyone in your area has the same problem. Chances are someone has the same tap water running to their house as you do.

I've only added Stress Coat and MelaFix to the tank, could any of those affect my PH's? It never has to my knowledge.

i don't think thouse 2 could affect the PH either. bumping the KH up should help your PH, and will help keep it steady. In my opinion using a "Set PH" product would work well to set the PH at 7, and add some buffer. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes such a product. They have different kits, to set the ph low or high. Just pick the right one for you : )

Back
Top Bottom