pH Question! Very Important need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorsfishchannel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Emergency! I need help my pH from tap water is 7.2 And my pH in my aquarium is 7.8 For cichlids..

and if i add 7.2 ph to my 7.8 will that affect my ph? i dont want to use chemical buffers! just need to know! i Have 2 Limestone rocks and 1 lava rock.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of cichlids are they???

So the pH in your tank is 7.8, and in tap water it's 7.2? Are you adding water from your tap? If so, your limestone is buffering your pH, which is why you're getting the 7.8.

If you add your tap water no, because it will be bufferred just like your water is right now. If you have limestone it will do a good job keeping the pH up for quite a bit.

IMO you have nothing to worry about ... that's not so drastic a swing that your fish wouldn't adapt. Keep the pH as stable as possible. The limestone will help to raise your pH slightly, crushed corals can also be used to raise ph.

Overtime, you could probably lower the pH gradually till it matches your tap's pH. If done gradually enough your fish should adapt.

Your fish will adjust. Its important that the ph stays stable though. Have you checked your tap ph after it has sat for 24hrs with an airstone or bubbler? You might be surprised what the reading actually is after is gases out.

Yes they are, but they will survive fine in a broader range.

A stable pH is MUCH more important than a precise pH for your fish.

Back
Top Bottom