PH Rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holmes529

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone had any experience with PH Rocks? I have a 55 gallon tank with PH that is a little low for my barbs (6.0), and they’re not taking it well and dying off. Someone at my local pet store suggested I use PH Rocks that keep the PH at the right level at all times. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Don't do anything... don't listen to anyone that tells you to drop a ph rock in your tank unless it's limestone and you're doing Africans. What's your source water?

My source water? Tap water with dechlorinator in it. How else am I supposed to raise my PH?

What type of barbs as the ones I looked up are fine with a pH from 6.0-7.0, the easy and best way to stabilize your pH long term is to put crushed coral In your filter, macro algae or limestone, there's many ways to raise the pH but you have to do it slowly so I wouldn't use anything that boosts it fast as that will kill your fish from the drastic change in pH, to do crushed coral get a mesh bag put the crushed coral in it and stick it in the filter, if you don't have room for it then put it in the tank, as for the barbs if you're using something that raises the pH fast that might be why they're dying.

What are the water Parameters as far as ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, kh/gh

Everything is normal except for low PH. Where can I get a small amount of crushed coral? All I can find are the giant bags of it. I don’t wanna spend that much and get that much for the little bit I need

What barbs do you have?
You could probably go to a lfs that sells saltwater fish and buy a small bag from them I know it is pricey for the bigger bags but some lfs are nice and will sell you a little bag from their supply

Tiger barbs
Scientific Name :*Puntius tetrazona

Common Names :*Sumatra Barb, Green and Albino, Part belt Barb

Care Level :*Easy

Size :*3 inches (8 cm)

pH :*6 - 7.5

Temperature :*70°F - 78°F (21°C - 26°C)

Water Hardness :*5° to 15° dH

Are you sure it's not something else? Maybe stress? Old age as they only live to about 5 years, water hardness, illness? They should also be kept in a group of 6+.

What is the pH from your tap?

Has anyone had any experience with PH Rocks? I have a 55 gallon tank with PH that is a little low for my barbs (6.0), and they’re not taking it well and dying off. Someone at my local pet store suggested I use PH Rocks that keep the PH at the right level at all times. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Out of interest do you have a link on the PH rocks? Is that a brand name or just any old carbonate rock so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom