PH sky rocketing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianocappuccino

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

Looking for some help,

Recently Iv noticed when doing my water testing my ph levels have sky rocketed to nearly 9!

I've been testing on a weekly basis before each water change and noticed this the last 2 weeks

Iv tested my water source and that's showing ph is 7 -7.5

All other tests are showing perfect results except the ph level!

Iv a 240lt freshwater with 4 pieces of bog wood, gravel, and running the jewel bio 3.0 along with a fluval 105

Can someone tell me what would cause my ph levels to suddenly go so high in the space of a week???

Sent from my iPhone

When you tested your water at the source, did you give it a few hours (aeration) to get rid of the gas, water is pressurize in the TAP which holds the gas in there. Mine out of the tap is 7.4 but after an hour or so of aeration its 8.0.

Simple test is get a 5 gallon bucket, and put an air stone in it for an hour or so, then test. Should be close to what you would have after 24hrs of letting that water sit out.

Yeah Iv just heard that on another form! Gonna do it later!!! Thanks for Ur help

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, I found that out the hard way when my Neon Rainbows were freaking after a water change. I was using a python to drain and fill the tank (of course dosing w/ Prime), but didn't realize the difference between the pH in the TAP and Tank water (Figured it was the same).

Now, I have to fill buckets and let it sit for a while (release the gas) before I can add to the tank.

Luckily I figured out what it was, and I haven't had that problem since. Rookie move for me :)

My ph from the tap is 7.5, If I was to leave it settle then it will rise still!

I don't want it to rise so guess I'm gonna have to get some stabilizer

Sent from my iPhone

I would get another pH tester before adding stuff/stabilizer to the water.

Have u been asleep gilpi

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry did I miss something? I tend to often .
I asked if you have tried another pH tester. Could be a dumb question but since I've "been there" with a similar experience I thought I'd give an opinion.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom