PH Too high, should I do anything about it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2oskierc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I tested my tank's pH at 8.2. Should I do anything to alter it?

I have:
20G Tall Tank-Marineland Penguin 100B, Aqueon QuietFlow 20-17w Full Spectrum Floursescent Light

7 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
3 x Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
4 x Albino Cory (Corydoras aeneus)
1 x Swordtail (Xiphophorus hellerii)
10 x Ghost Shrimp (Palaemonetes sp.)

1 x Anubias hastifolia
3 x Java (Microsorum pteropus)

I still am trying to find some sort of centerpiece fish. I saw a couple of yellow/blue rams that I loved, but I am almost 100% sure that pH is too high for those...

No. Don't do anything to your pH. It's fine where it is. Most fish can acclamate to almost any pH you give them so it's fine. It's better stable than fluctuating from you trying to change it. A nice, good long two hour drip acclamation should do the trick.

Thanks bruinsbro! Now I just need to get to the LFS that had those rams. They were awesome...

I don't think I'd try keeping rams in the low 8's, but that's just me. They are already ridiculously sensitive as it is, so idk.

That's beside the point of my reply though, I don't think you have room for rams in that current tank stock.

I don't think I'd try keeping rams in the low 8's, but that's just me. They are already ridiculously sensitive as it is, so idk.

That's beside the point of my reply though, I don't think you have room for rams in that current tank stock.

Fair enough! Anything you could recommend. Looking for something a little bigger than the current guppies/swordtail, more a centerpiece type fish or two. Thinking colors blue and yellow.

I may want to rehome the cories... I think the shrimp will be sufficient bottom feeders, if that changes anything.

That's the same as my ph. I have an African cichlid set up. Goldfish set up. Betta/shrimp and rummynose and Cory. I agree on the German blue rams...

Fair enough! Anything you could recommend. Looking for something a little bigger than the current guppies/swordtail, more a centerpiece type fish or two. Thinking colors blue and yellow.

I may want to rehome the cories... I think the shrimp will be sufficient bottom feeders, if that changes anything.

If you moved the corys, or the guppies, then I'd probably go with something like a honey gourami (not much larger than guppies etc) or possibly a paradisefish.(quite a bit larger). The only thing is if you remove the corys you'll have a fairly empty tank bottom and all kinds of stuff going on in the middle area. It would look a bit crowded to me, but that's my preference, I think the tank can handle it bioload wise.

One other option would be to go with bolivian rams, they seem to be much hardier than their german blue cousins, and I wouldn't hesitate putting 2 in there if you took the corys out.

jetajockey said:
If you moved the corys, or the guppies, then I'd probably go with something like a honey gourami (not much larger than guppies etc) or possibly a paradisefish.(quite a bit larger). The only thing is if you remove the corys you'll have a fairly empty tank bottom and all kinds of stuff going on in the middle area. It would look a bit crowded to me, but that's my preference, I think the tank can handle it bioload wise.

One other option would be to go with bolivian rams, they seem to be much hardier than their german blue cousins, and I wouldn't hesitate putting 2 in there if you took the corys out.

I was going to suggest a Bolivian ram but then I saw u said there wasn't enough room... But yeah if u have room I'd go with bolivians like jet said! Hahaha they are way cool fish

Yeah I'd definitely have to move the cories out first though, the tank is pretty well stocked as it is, and rams+shrimp+corys on the bottom all crammed in there together is a bad idea also.

I wouldn't need to add a ram. Just looking for something that would be a little larger, add some colors that I don't have in the tank yet, and would hopefully make my neons school a little more.

Maybe the fish I saw at the LFS weren't even rams. They were awesome though, whatever they were...

How bout cherry barbs or a sunset or honey gourami ??

Back
Top Bottom