Ph value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandagen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. I just got my tank 2 weeks ago and I did a ph test on my tank. It was reading like 8.2. I was wondering whether is it too high? I have some neon tetras and guppys and guramis.

:welcome: to AA! (y)

Generally your tank's pH will reflect your water source and I'm assuming you're using tap water as your water source during PWC's? I recommend if you haven't already to test water source's pH. While that number may be on the high end ... fish will acclimate to it. What's important is maintaining a stable pH as opposed to trying to target a specific number. When one tries to get a specific pH ... one runs the risk of getting pH swings which can be fatal to your fish. If your fish are doing well, no need to mess with the pH.

If you want to lower your pH ... adding DriftWood and or Peat is a natural way to do it gradually. Please note adding these can give your water a tea color due to tannins .... harmless to fish.

Rocks like Coral, Limestone and or Marble could raise pH so if you have any of those you added for decor ... removing them would also lower your pH if your pwc source is lower than 8.2,

Back
Top Bottom