Phosguard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrp1588

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a product called "phosguard" at the LFS because I've been having a small algae problem, and I read online that the type of algae I have (brush algae) is linked with eccess phosphates. This calims to absorb the phosphates. Does this sound like a good product? I'd really love this algae to wither away and DIE!!! Here is a link.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...older_id=2534374302030041&bmUID=1121819342534

you would likely have been better off spending your money on a phosphate testkit(they dont test for it at the local pet store)
Once you get the PO4 testkit you can check your tapwater for phosphats to see if that is the problem.. overfeeding and not
cleaning well enough will also contribute to the problem.. Increasing the frequencey and/or amount of water changed with
your water changes will get your PO4 down to kill the algae, If proper feeding and cleaning is done. HTH

Most phosphate removing products work pretty well, though you have to change them out every few weeks to maintain effectiveness. However, I'm with GM and recommend you determine if phosphate is in fact a problem for you. If it is a problem in your tank and is not a problem in your tap water, or in the water you use for water changes, then changing the food you feed or your maintenance program is likely all you need.

Back
Top Bottom