phosphate problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redvan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I'm having trouble keeping my phosphate level down in a community tank of neon tetras, tiger barbs and a few other tetras, as well as a guppy tank.

Both are live planted; one large Amazon sword in the community tank and a variety of plants in the other.

My test kit shows a level of over 10 (the highest it goes for that kit) in both so I bought a API Phos-zorb pillow and overnight the guppy tank went down to 0

The community tank however is another story. The pillow made no difference after a few days!

Any ideas?

Same pillow?
They wear out I believe...
Tank size difference(volume) will also effect the results.
Larger tank or higher levels may need more then one pillow??

First post.....Welcome to AA!

I would test your tap water for phosphate. 10 ppm is high for a community tank. It may also indicate over feeding as fish food is a source of phosphate. If the tap water is fine, then try increasing the water changes. I have not used that phosphate reducer you mentioned.
I have the opposite problem. Even after doing daily fertilizers that supply phosphate, it would always hover around 1-2 ppm. I bumped up the phosphate to get it around 5ish. This is in a well light, heavily planted tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

...Even after doing daily fertilizers that supply phosphate, it would always hover around 1-2 ppm. I bumped up the phosphate to get it around 5ish. This is in a well light, heavily planted tank.

Ok, now I'm really confused....

I thought it should be zero at all times. You're trying to keep it at 5ish?

Should I try to keep it up at that level also since my tank is live planted?

Red.

Thanks coralbandit, nice to know there is somewhere to go for solid advice.

The personnel at the pet stores change so frequently that soon as I find one who knows something, they're never to be seen again. Like for this issue; I was told that phosphate should always be zero yet Fresh2o says he's trying to keep it at 5.

(I associate phosphate with soap and pollution and therefore soap + fish = death.)

Red.

Thanks coralbandit, nice to know there is somewhere to go for solid advice.

The personnel at the pet stores change so frequently that soon as I find one who knows something, they're never to be seen again. Like for this issue; I was told that phosphate should always be zero yet Fresh2o says he's trying to keep it at 5.

(I associate phosphate with soap and pollution and therefore soap + fish = death.)

Red.

Phosphate is a byproduct of all fish foods. Some fish foods such as flake have more than other foods such as frozen. Unless you have a pretty seriously planted tank than it will never be at 0 (and even then if it's 0 then you have a problem)

Phosphate isn't harmful as far as I've seen, although it can contribute to algae growth. What is the level of phosphate in your tap water?

As mentioned above, you will always have some phosphate in most tanks, primarily from the fishes diet. The 10 ppm you reported is high, especially in a community tank.
Knowing what the phosphate level is in the source/tap water is important as it may be contributing to the values you are seeing.
For a heavily planted tank, phosphate levels will drop due to uptake by the plants. In my case, there would be outbreaks of GSA (green spot algae) if the phosphate was around 1-2 ppm. When raised to 3-5 ppm or higher, the GSA went away. Weird, huh? For context, this is what my tank looked like on 8/22 and about 4 weeks later:
rKemJZo.png
q6waRI0.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom