photographing your fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello i like taking photos of my fish and would like some tips on taking them. My camera is a lumix g2 and when i try to take photos its near impossible getting them to hold still, its always blurred.
I have also tried turning my shutter speed up but that means i need an insane amount of light to take the shot without the flash, i prefer taking photos without the flash as i think the flash gives it an unatural look and makes the fish's colours look dull.
Any help appreciated, thanks

Idk, I use my phone with no flash.... Wish I could find my real camera to play with

i am not familiar with lumix g2 is it slr camera?

i have slr camera and when i photograph my fishes i use a tripod (to stabilize and prevent camera movements and shake) adjust the APERTURE (F stop) and EXPOSURE (how many shots per second).

play with the aperture and exposure of your camera - also adjust the white balance and shadows.

i recommend - shooting in M mode with 1/3 - 1/5 exposure and f 5.6 - f 7.1 you just play with the white balance that suits your taste. you can try using manual focus or auto focus. and remember to shoot in series mode. follow the fish and start clicking in series. if you shoot at least 20 there would be 1 or 2 good and sharp pictures of the fish.

scaled.php

I have noticed after my fish are fed they don't move as much (maybe because they are full?). This makes it easier to take a picture of them.

i am not familiar with lumix g2 is it slr camera?

i have slr camera and when i photograph my fishes i use a tripod (to stabilize and prevent camera movements and shake) adjust the APERTURE (F stop) and EXPOSURE (how many shots per second).

play with the aperture and exposure of your camera - also adjust the white balance and shadows.

i recommend - shooting in M mode with 1/3 - 1/5 exposure and f 5.6 - f 7.1 you just play with the white balance that suits your taste. you can try using manual focus or auto focus. and remember to shoot in series mode. follow the fish and start clicking in series. if you shoot at least 20 there would be 1 or 2 good and sharp pictures of the fish.

scaled.php
Wow that is a great picture i will try what you said not sure if i know how to do all that but i will try thanks

yeah its a little complicated if you have a high end camera - you must also choose the lowest ISO possible in your camera. ISO absorbs all the light in the surroundings - if your ISO is too high your pic would be so bright and grainy. so choose 100 (depending on your light). what i told you in the advice that those settings work for my aquarium but i dontk now what kind of lighting you have so you have to practice and really use the potential of your camera settings - if its dark (like brackish water) - use higher f stop and 1-2 seconds exposure - but this is too difficult since the fishes would move and it will be blurred in action even if you use series mode. if the aquarium is bright - its the easiest to shoot coz you will lower all the brightness and exposure settings which makes the shutter faster.

what i did first was that i practiced in our city aquarium - and i practiced with saltwater fishes because it has the best lighting of any aquarium - i concentrated on few fishes and followed them around and once i got the hand of the camera settings - i enjoyed taking pics of my aquarium in a small and limited backdrop even with moving fishes. so just practice practice practice and read the manual of your camera of what potentials it could have! best of luck and show your pictures!

30704_1430872660233_1485381427_31100545_8112932_n.jpg

30704_1430889100644_1485381427_31100654_8321099_n.jpg

207343_1906559152098_1485381427_32055705_6268337_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom