pic of my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lukepghpa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
finally got a pic of my tank...the picture sucks because i just got a new digital camera and am still playing around with all the settings...i'd like to add some more rocks but i have to wait for the snow at my moms house to melt first, as all my rocks are out of her backyard

Attachments

• 100_0001.jpg
    100_0001.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_0001.jpg
    100_0001.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 139
awesome tank!!! that's what i want.. a 72 gallon bowfront.. but why don't you have a substrate?

Doesn't look like you have substrate, why not? I kind of "hides" the fishpoop and good denitrifying bacteria can live in it (more filter capacity).

i had substrate in my 29 gallon cichlid tank, it was more trouble than what its worth...i know cichlids are diggers but they seemed to have adjusted fine to it

hmm...how was it more trouble? There really is a lot of good surface area for bacteria in the substrate...I'd look into it. Looks a lot nicer too

there is nothing wrong with NOT having substrate people.. most discus keepers have bare bottom tanks and if you are breeding bare bottom tanks are good as well. I think it looks great but was just wondering why you don't have a substrate. Be careful with the rocks as well so the cichlids don't knock them over!!!! Are they siliconed together???
btw.. the rocks from your yard are great.. i got mine from my grandma's yard and its a heck of a lot cheaper than buying them.

Attachments

• closeup_of_rocks_all.jpg
    closeup_of_rocks_all.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 55_gallon_angle_view.jpg
    55_gallon_angle_view.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 28
  • kenyi_closeup.jpg
    kenyi_closeup.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 28
I like it the way it is. But I do think it would look great with sand. Africans love to dig, it's what they do. I can see the point of it being easier bare bottom because Africans are VERY messy fish. Fish poo galore! :D My main concern is with the rocks. If they fall hard enough, it will bust the bottom of the tank. If you do decide to add substrate, put a sheet of egg crate (purchased from a hardware store like Home Depot, about $5) under the substrate so the rocks do not hit the bottom of the tank if they fall. Plus, if the rocks keep scratching the glass, it will eventually weaken the structure. But, it's entirely up to you. I think it looks great! :D

thanks for all the kind words :D now that a couple people mention it, sand would look pretty sweet, how about crushed coral?

with african cichlids you can used crushed coral as well to keep the pH up.

I also think the crushed coral would be good. It will buffer your pH very well and will increase your chances of breeding (if you have the ratios). :D Add about 1/4 at a time. CC works slowly and naturally, but I wouldn't dump in a whole substrate to an existing tank because it may increase it faster. Maybe add 1/4 a week.

lukepghpa said:
...the picture sucks because i just got a new digital camera and am still playing around with all the settings...

With my digital I got, I use Macro, about 8-10 inches from the glass. Shutter speed at 200, and sometimes on auto, but seems to do better on 200. Flash on, and at a slight angle from the glass. Also take the pics with the viewfinder turned off. When mine is on, the pics come out somewhat blurred. With it off, crystal clear. Everything else I leave on auto.

It helps promote breeding because it will raise the hardness and the pH to the levels that are optimal for breeding. With plenty of rock structure, you'll have fry like crazy. :D Then you'll be like me having a holding mother every week and nowhere to put the fry. *cough*....MTS..... :)

hmm...on a related note...how do you tell if a female is holding? I know she tends to hide away, but are there any recognizeable physical signs?

A holding mother will shy away from feeding when the food is dropped into the tank. She will not eat while she holds eggs or fry. She will start to get a noticeable bulge in her mouth. Her gills will start to protrude. She will hide a bit more and shy away from other fish. I have pics of a female Cobalt holding fry, just have to find them.

Back
Top Bottom