Picked up some fish today :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I picked up 7 Neon Tetras from Petsmart today. I only wanted (and paid for) 6, but I had 7 when I got home. It worked out ok anyway, one of them didn't survive the trip for some reason. The others are doing fine, 5 of them school together most of the time, and at least 1 of them is always by himself. I kinda figured they would school together at all times. I'm gonna wait a few days and watch the levels and stuff, then maybe add more fish.

I tell ya, those neon tetra's are hard to keep alive, the simplest thing will kill them, I feel bad for them honestly. I guess your just now starting your tank stocking? what size tank do you have? good luck with your neons and other fish :)

I read that a lot tropic.....but I have had em from the word go and cycled with em too...(did lose one),but otherwise they have posed no more issues then any of the other population.

One of my favorites too.

Yeah, I'm just starting with my stocking. I didn't realize neons were so hard to keep alive, I thought they were a little more hearty. It's a 29 gallon tank. Here's a pic, they sure are hard to catch on camera with low-light.

if it died ont he way home bring it back, petsmart has a 14 day return thing where they replace the fish

Well, I only paid for 6 and they gave me 7. I guess for now that was the free one that died. :) I really only wanted 6 anyway.

I lost a bunch of neons, but then I decided I would aclimate them really really slow --- couple hours or so ---- and they've all survived just great. No losses for 5 months. I think neons have it rough getting started in a tank, but after that they're pretty hearty.

I bought two Neon Tetras to cycle my new 6-gallon Eclipse Six tank (which I love) and they're doing really, REALLY well.

P1000552.jpg

Glad other people have success with neons - I never really have...

I guess that's why I prefer rummynose and cardinals...

are cardinals more hardy than neons ? I thought they were probably less hardy because they are mostly wild caught

I think it's a hit or miss thing - I've just had better luck with cardinals, I suppose.

Also, note that it's been years since I've kept either cardinals or neons...

I never tried Neons. They look neat though. I got some Zebra Danios, and they are simular shape and size and had no problems with them. In fact, I like them because they are very active fish. They were sure frightened of me at first. Now they come right up to me.

Stretch, are those live plants in your picture? If so, what are they?

My Neon Tetra tank is planted with Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis), Tropica Fern (Microsorium pleropus), and a few Aponogeton. I hope the Wisteria doesn't get too large. If so, I'll move it to a bigger tank a replace it with a Peacock Fern (Selaginella wildenowii).

Nope, those are fake. I'm not sure what they are, they came with the tank when I bought it used. I don't have enough light to do a planted tank right now, and I don't have enough money to buy lights. So, I'm stuck with the fake ones. :)

I have the greatest luck with both Neon’s and Cardinals even through my Ph is 7.8 and my water hardness is like a rock I still get great growth and beautiful colors out of them, it may help that the tank I put them has 4 pieces driftwood in it that causes my water to have a tea like tint.

joannde said:
are cardinals more hardy than neons ? I thought they were probably less hardy because they are mostly wild caught

To my knowledge Cardinals are less hardy than Neons. At one point I was going to get them for a newly cycled tank but was advised against them. I went with some WC's instead.

I just love Neons though. I too recently picked up a school of 5 from Petco but lost 2 due to a bad tempered gourami. They now have a home in my 1g nano and doing just fine.

Back
Top Bottom