Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Picking Fish

I have ordered everything for my 55 gallon but I am missing one thing: Fish! I am interested in Cichlids, but have no clue where to start. I can open up a book and see what I like but there is no promise of those same fish at my lfs. How reasonable is it to order fish from the internet? Is there a website that is good for just browsing pictures and info on fish? Thanks.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...173&highlight=

i was in the same situation as u not to long ago so check out my thread it has pretty much everything u need to know about stocking a 55 and there are some great links to go to. hope i could help

Old 08-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

It is also good to decide if you want African cichlids or New World cichlids, and narrow it down from there. Once you decide that then we can direct you to a reputable online retailer. Nowadays I purchase most of my fish online since the quality is so much better and I can be assured of a correct ID. If you have a very good LFS they will order fish for you that they might not carry.

Also, what are your plans for cycling the tank?
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you read up on fishless cycling? I'm sure you have, but there is an article about it on this site.

Maybe it would help you to decide what you want to test the pH of your water. If you have a really high pH, that would be perfect for Africans. If not, you would do well with South or Central Americans. Or, if you wanted to try to get your pH up, you could go for Africans anyway! :P Have you checked out www.liveaquaria.com ? I hear they are a very good online retailer (although kinda on the expensive side), and they have a live arrival guarantee on their fish. You can order plants from them too. Even if you don't want to order online, check it out because they have profiles on their fish and could maybe help you get an idea of what you want. Also, you could look around at www.cichlid-forum.com at their cookie-cutter setups for 55 gallon tanks. They have these for African and New World cichlids.

55 gallons is a great size for cichlids. Sure, there are some that you still can't keep due to their size, but you still have a ton of options for a very interesting tank.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

cool sounds like i have yet to do a lot of reading to do. I plan on doing a fishless cycle (so i dont kill anyone), so i still have some time to decide.

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com