Picking out a fish, or two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eoin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I will have just about completed populating my tank this week, but am looking for a couple of fish to finish it out. I currently have a couple of cardinals (will be getting a few more shortly), a couple of columbian tetras, and a couple of silver tip tetras. I’m looking to get a fish that wont grow more than 2”, is peaceful around tetras, is fine being in a pair (i.e. one wont terrorize the other, and wont feel lonely without more buddies – doesn’t need to school), and has a shape and pattern that will add contrast to the fish mentioned above. I haven’t found anything that fits what I’m looking for yet, and was hoping people might have some suggestions.

a pair of rams ? your bottom looks empty... ^_^ and that keeps it SA

or a pair of dwarf sized plecos..some type of 4 inchers? some are very colorfully patterned and there are little ones if you re extra sure it is the proper species...

Well, 4-6 cories usually look good in a tank like that, IMO, but you don't want schooling fish. You 2 of one species cory and 2 of another, that would mix up your bottom a bit.

It’s not so much that I don’t want schooling fish, I just want to make sure I don’t get a pair of fish that would be much happier in a group. I understand that some schooling fish hate being alone or in a very small group, and others don’t mind it as much. As I have seen, an happy fish is a colourful fish.

Thank you for the suggestions so far, I will have a look at each of their bios.

A single paradise fish may fit the bill..they are colorful..not so slow that fin nippers take advantage nor do they had special "whiskers" ar risk. The don't mind being the single of their kinds adn they are often pretty tolerant to others of their species anyway. They can be a little spunky but are not so iffy as dwarf gourami and bettas.
And hardy? They are one of the original trropical imports back when any container that held water could be a tank and filtration was a einsteinic dream....
and what is heat? :roll:

Hmm...I don't know if this would interest you, but I've got a glass catfish, and I think it's one of the best fish I've ever bought :) It's not really a catfish in the sense that it's a bottomfeeder; they feed like 'normal' fish. They work well in groups or pairs, or alone, like in my tank. They're very peaceful and look like rainbow crystals when light shines through them, otherwise they're clear and see-through, so you might not like them if you're looking for more color in your tank. But I think they're gorgeous! 8)

Back
Top Bottom