pictures of my prized bubble-eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
bubble-eye goldfish are sooooooo cute
I want to pinch their cheeks :oops:

family photos

img_491182_0_770e3bbd6081652ee143b30f41c8740d.jpg

img_491182_1_eb5f6cdcc81997656c66b362b2035326.jpg

img_491182_2_c8682df0d21acc37d915be220ec12f6e.jpg

img_491182_3_1e793cae3bb4211013979da9a6f95935.jpg

group photos

img_491182_4_e79b91169265e3d9d6c2fa4bdf0e425c.jpg

img_491182_5_152afe8723a426b42eff38b82bb108e4.jpg

img_491182_6_d1ceace7f91fc531149ef0d085989f4a.jpg

tank photos

img_491182_7_4afc0c4381e8ba31729bb38ac8b58ef6.jpg

OMG - check this out !!!

I love bubble-eyes....but this just goes too far :? :? :?
too freaky for me

4 bubble-sacs
doublebubble.jpg

3 bubble-sacs
tripod.jpg

8O those ARE freaky it looks like they have like...tumors.... I love bubbly eyes though, they're cool... I'd just hope they don't run into anything pointy 8O

Puriti said:
8O those ARE freaky it looks like they have like...tumors.... I love bubbly eyes though, they're cool... I'd just hope they don't run into anything pointy 8O

the bubbles are actually more tougher/tame than people think.

however, i still recommend having NO sharp ornaments/decorations with them.

dying of starvation - never heard of that (I make sure my bubble-eyes get their fair share of food)
Bubble-eyes prefer slow sinking food IME (they are bottom feeders, like cories)

deaths of bubble-eyes (from stories I have read) are usually a result of:
1. poor water quality - high ammonia/nitrite causes the bubbles to become cloudy
2. bubbles becoming stuck in the filter intake - the filter intake should be covered at all times (via a pantyhose or a sponge)

I read an article in a magazine that talked about how they can't look down so they die of starvation. I thought that was stupid because I've seen huge ones.

I'm never buying another issue of that mag, I can't remember the name of it, but it was absolutely horrible.

DiverDown said:
I read an article in a magazine that talked about how they can't look down so they die of starvation. .

the first part is correct.
The eyes of bubble-eyes look upwards towards the sky.
As the bubble-sacs grow they push the eyes upwards.
fopt1.jpg

fopt4.jpg

the second part is false.
Although they cannot see well - they can smell and they usually stand on their head to find food (so there eyes are pointing downwards)
bubble3.jpg

Interesting, I've always thought they were interesting fish. A bit eerie looking, but cool.

I'm considering getting a godlfish myself now. My wife isn't for the plan though.

OK, I know very little about goldfish, and even less about bubble-eyes. :wink:
So...
Is the bubble filled with fluid?
If it does pop, does it heal?

QTOFFER said:
OK, I know very little about goldfish, and even less about bubble-eyes. :wink:
So...
Is the bubble filled with fluid?
If it does pop, does it heal?

yes, the bubble-sac is filled with clear fluid (NOT air :lol: :lol: )

if it pops.. YES it does heal !! (takes about 2 weeks)
just provide "perfect" water quality, add some melafix - and they will be cured !!

burst/popped bubble-sacs do NOT grow back to exactly the same size/ shape as the original sac.
In fact, they can actually grow back bigger than the original bubble-sac.
(although, this will reduce their show-quality potential)

Puriti said:
I still wanna know how people/nature got them to be like that and why 8O

history lesson :wink: :wink:

from what I have read:
back in the 1920s, chinese aquarists used to keep their goldfish in ponds.
Because of this, they could never see the faces of their fish (only the spine and the top of the fish)

so bubble-eyes were bred so that pond aquarists could enjoy their goldfish more - since the bubble-sacs & eyes pointing upwards, created an effect that the goldfish were staring towards their owner and it gave the owner to have a "face" to greet.

:wink: :wink:

Hey, those are really nice looking fish. I particularly like the one with spots. I bet he's somthing to see cruising around the tank. As fer the 4-bub guys... er to me it looks like thier chin has a pair of... er <<remembers family theme>> um...nevermind on that one.

Zezmo said:
Hey, those are really nice looking fish. I particularly like the one with spots. I bet he's somthing to see cruising around the tank. As fer the 4-bub guys... er to me it looks like thier chin has a pair of... er <<remembers family theme>> um...nevermind on that one.

LMAO !!!

Bubble_B0y said:
Puriti said:

from what I have read:
Because of this, they could never see the faces of their fish (only the spine and the top of the fish)

so bubble-eyes were bred so that pond aquarists could enjoy their goldfish more - since the bubble-sacs & eyes pointing upwards, created an effect that the goldfish were staring towards their owner and it gave the owner to have a "face" to greet.

.....So they made them have fat poofy air pockets? o.o ....@___@ I wonder how they got goldfish to even START having those..it seems kinda..odd....lol

Puriti said:
Bubble_B0y said:
Puriti said:

from what I have read:

.....So they made them have fat poofy air pockets? o.o ....@___@ I wonder how they got goldfish to even START having those..it seems kinda..odd....lol

i guess it was some kind of mutation or interbreeding or something....

They will die of starvavion, if kept w/other kinds of GF, that can see/swim better & outcompete them for food.

Back
Top Bottom