Pictus Cat and schooling fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karackle

Aquarium Advice Freak
My boyfriend is getting a 100g tank (i'll post more about that elsewhere when I have more time) but in the mean time i have a quick question.

He really likes the look of a large school of Neons or Cardinals etc. I was just wondering whether these are compatible with a Pictus cat or if there is a larger kind of brightly colored tetra (or other schooling fish) that would be compatible? I think Pictus cats are beautiful, but I don't have room for one at the moment but since he's getting a new 100g.....you see where I'm going here I imagine? ;):cool::silly::rolleyes:

This is going to be fun....he's a TOTAL noob so this is going to be "our" project...heeheehee....i have a new large tank to play with! :bowl:
icon_smile.gif
fish.gif

I agree with your boyfriend I also really like the look of the neons and cardianal teras. they look great with a black background and plants. I don't know what would happen if you put in a pictus cat. Red sarpea tetras are also very bright and school together well. I wish you lots of fun setting up you "boyfriends tank" HA Ha

hahaha thanks! Yeah, that's exactly what we want to do, black background, black gravel, and lots of greenery, it definitely makes the red and blue pop! I guess i'd be happy with a small school of one kind of cory or another instead of a pictus....schools of fish are fun! :)

But if anyone has any more input on how a pictus would do, i'd still love to hear it! thanks! :)

if im not mistaken i think pictus get to be about 5-6 inches and when large enough they may try to eat smaller tank inhabitants such as tetras....other than that their bottom feeder's who zoom back and forth using their whiskers to search for food

Pictus cats drive me insane. I have two, and I like em enough, but they can abosolutely drive non-active fish crazy when they are in one of their frenzys.

I dont see how much trouble they could cause in a 100 gallon though, just keep your eye on the size of their mouths. What about a smaller breed of catfish?

Yeah, I've done some more research on them and it seems like they do enjoy eating smaller fish when their mouths get big enough...I love their iridescent look, but I'm thinking a school of cory cats and a school of neons (or something similar) could look really cool too. Ultimately, it is his tank so i can't take it over too much :p or try not too.....

Pictus catfish will without a doubt eat neons and cardinals! I was sold some of both by the lfs at the same time and discovered this the hard way! Pictus can get rather aggressive. I had mine in a 55 gal and moved them into a 125 gal.

Yep they will eat anything that will fit in their mouth. I also learned that the hard way.

How about a nice school of congo tetras? They're large enough not to be eaten by a pictus. Or some type of rainbowfish?

I am a PIctus lover and collect them. I like the White Pim and Spotted Pims as they get even bigger. Got two 8" pork chops that are the best fish ever.

They will eat your neons. Mine have lived great (even the larger ones) with White Tetra, Serpae Tetra and even glass. Once the pictus is grown though adding in smaller tetra before they are grown, they will more then likely become supper.

With that said, you can never be sure that the Pictus will not eat the other fish. There are reports of Pictus eating fish bigger then them.

Sounds good thanks for the input everyone...they are beautiful fish but I think he's set on Neons/cardinals...if he decides to go with bigger fish, i'll definitely think about a pictus again :)

In the mean time i'd be happy to take into consideration any other stocking ideas (to go along with the small tetras) anyone has :)

Well....It turns out that the tank is a 55g not a 100g, so i realize that changes stocking options slightly, but right now we're thinking about a school each of cardinals (or neons), black neons, and rummy nose, a small school of a really pretty kind of cory we saw (have to look up the name), a red tail shark and some kind of algae eater (thought on algae eaters would be welcome as I know a common pleco will get too big for the tank)...i'm thinking one of the fancier plecos that doesn't get as small or a school of otos? But other suggestions are certainly welcome.

Thanks!!! :)

I would suggest a bn pleco I would not get otos untill the tank has been up and running for a while and not unless you are going to plant it

Well I think we are going to plant it, but I was thinking of some sort of pleco instead of otos anyway...but who knows how things will change as the project progresses :p At first he wanted black substrate, black background, a few decorations and a couple plants. Now he's thinking fully planted tank...so like i said, we'll see what happens! :)

Back
Top Bottom