Pictus Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have three of them and just love them! The only bad experience I had was when I experimented with neon tetra, (the largest I could find). I bought 25 and the next morning I had 8 ? I have gold barbs, black skirts, and red minor tetras now, and they are fine! They can also be quite shy at times, and it's recommended you get three of you have the space. I have three and they're out exploring day and night! I have also used salt to treat for Ich in their tank, and they're not as sensitive as some suggest! I've had these guys since they were babies and now the big guy is maybe almost 5" and the other two are 3"-4" ....hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What size tank do you keep them in?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't go lower than a 40B that's just me though. Mine is in a 75

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm just wondering if a 55 is enough space for 3...

I may be wrong on this, but I always thought pictus catfish need at least 75 gallons. They don't get big, but they are movers I guess.

I may be wrong on this, but I always thought pictus catfish need at least 75 gallons. They don't get big, but they are movers I guess.

55 and 75 have the same 4ft footprint the 75 is just wider and I think a little taller, still plenty of room though.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Stock would likely be:
3 Pictus
2 Opaline Gourami 1M + 1F
7 Black Phantom Tetra
7 Cherry Barbs
5 or 6 Nerite Snails

Looks fine to me. Just make sure that is definitely a M/F pair of gourami or prepare for aggressive behavior

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Mine are in a 125, and in a 90 before that, they move along the bottom mostly but will venture up the sides of the tank at night. They each claimed a section of the bottom of the tank/ Mr. Big lives in the middle and has the most space lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I got my Pictus catfish from Petsmart over 4 yrs ago. He has eaten a few smaller fish but he is fine with everything else. I have several Danios in the tank and they're too fash for him to catch. I ever see him bother any other fish in the tank. They like to have hiding places so I have a few rocks he can get under. I throw in a algae wafer before i go to bed because he eats at night. He is about 6" and I don't think he'll get any larger.

Back
Top Bottom