Pictus Catfish help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read at the pet stores and some online bios that pictus cats get to be 6". Other website bios tell me 10". Does anybody have experience with these and what number I should go by for stocking my tank? If I have 3, that's 12" difference and I don't want to overstock...

I had them years ago in a 125g and the largest was a touch over 8", these fish were 5-6 years old. I'm not sure what size tank your looking to use but I would recommened at least a 75g or larger due to their constant hyper-activity.

Ok. I was planning on estimating 8". Right now I have them in a 20 while my 90g is cycling. They are quite small yet, just a few inches. What fish did you have with them?

Mina are about 4 inches, give or take. I think the oldest is 4 now.

Mine are in a 120 with jack dempseys, firemouths, syno cats, clown loaches and giant danios.

I was planning on homing them with a school of MB Rainbowfish, bristle nose plecos, dwarf and opaline gouramis. Do you think they'll get along. Again, some sites say yes and some no...?

That's what I hear. My only concern is the dwarf gouramis. I've had pictus before and they ate my neons in the past. Never had one full grown and dwarfs only get to be 2-21/2". That's not too small I hope?!

My only concern would be feeding time, the pictus cats are voracious eaters and would probably outcompete the smaller more timid gourami.

I have them with mollies now until the 90g is cycled and they do very well. I also feed them sinking pellets in addition to flakes.

Back
Top Bottom